Win 7 Backup Error 0x81000039

I am trying to backup from an Asus F50SF laptop running Win 7 x64 Ultimate, patched to date, using wired connections through a D-Link DIR-825, to a Windows XP Pro generic desktop, also patched to date (except that I continue to use IE 6).  Am running MS Security Essentials on each machine.

After backup has been running for a while, it ends with the message "Backup did not complete sucessfully".

Troubleshooting brings up  the window "Windows Backup: Troubleshooting Options" which shows:

"Check your backup

Windows Backup encountered an error when accessing the remote shared folder.

Details: The specified network name is no longer available."

and at the bottom "Error code: 0x810039".

The Asus has a total of 46.7 GB of file space used, The Xp machine has 93.8 GB of disk free, so space should not be a problem.

I tried changing the Local Group Policy "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level (on both machines) to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated", as was suggested on some other posts, but it made no difference.

Answer
Answer

Hi 090115,

Ideally, the connection type shouldn’t interfere. In this case, the share is setup incorrectly, the firewall is blocking the connection, or the router is interfering.

If you wish to continue to troubleshoot the network problem, ensure that the share on the XP machine is accessible.

Follow the steps from the article.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

Since its working with a cross over, verify the share permissions and storage shouldn’t be necessary but it still needs to be verified that it is accessible and check the firewall settings.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 6, 2023 Views 4,811 Applies to: