Why did Windows 7 install system files on my secondary internal hard drive, which prevents it from being formatted or seen as a Windows Backup location?

My computer has a Seagate 500 GB SATA internal hard drive which has the operating system on it, and also a secondary 80 GB internal Seagate IDE hard drive which I've been dragging files onto as a backup. I wanted to format this 80 GB drive to get a fresh start and use Windows Backup to backup my files. Windows 7 will not format the drive, and it does not see the drive as a backup location because apparently during the clean install of the operating system, Windows put system files onto this secondary drive. Disk Management reports the operating system drive (the 500 GB one) as "Disk 1-Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition. It reports the secondary drive (the 80 GB one I would like to use with Windows Backup) as "Disk 0-System, Active, Primary Partition". Would I most likely have to disconnect the secondary drive and do another clean install of Windows 7, so it puts all files onto the main hard drive and not involve the secondary drive, so I can format the secondary drive and use Windows Backup? Or is there another way to correct this problem without doing a clean install? Thank you for any help!

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 230 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
To create a new, full backup

After you create your first backup, Windows Backup will add new or changed information to your subsequent backups. If you're saving your backups on a hard drive or network location, Windows Backup will create a new, full backup for you automatically when needed. If you're saving your backups on CDs or DVDs and can't find an existing backup disc, or if you want to create a new backup of all of the files on your computer, you can create a full backup. Here's how to create a full backup:

1. Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

2. In the left pane, click Create new, full backup.

Note

You will only see this option if your backup is being saved on CDs or DVDs.

###########################################

Intel Inside

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.