Why can't Windows 7 (64 bit) multi task properly on an I7 with 6gb RAM when a program tries to make use of all that.

Why can't Windows 7 (64 bit home premium) multi task properly on an I7 with 6gb RAM when a program tries to make use of all that power.

I upgraded to I7 and windows 7 64 bit becuase I run an intensive optimisation program. it has now been to designed to take advantage of the 8 cores of the I7 and 6gb RAM in 64 bit mode. however if I allow it to run on all 8 cores AND the program allocates as much as 6GB RAM then the whole PC grinds to a complete halt, it is not possible to navigate any windows menus or anything, not even system menus, the only key that works is the reset button.  I just waited 3 hours for the system to respond before using reset. If i restrict it to 7 cores by setting the affinity it is slightly more responsive, but even so, once it gets close or over 6gb it takes many minutes to wait for the menus to apear necessary to kill the process.

on windows XP (32 bit) with one core AMD cpu it would not cuase the system to be virtually totaly unresponsive.

I have tried setting the page file to 100mb so that the program will stop if it cant allocate any more memory, however this means many other programs fail before this happens.

It seems to be a multitasking issue, as it should allocate all resources among all applications that need it, so that not one application is exlusivly running like this. it seems to fail to fairly allocate RAM. my gues is that nearly every other program gets paged out, and the PC is just sitting there totaly consumed in swap thrashing.

How can one ensure that not one application can cuase all the other programs to be swapped out  of RAM ?

I have looked at the performance trouble shooting guide but this is obviously an advanced issue, which is way beyond any of those.

The program is written in MS VisualC# express, it numerically computes the factors for a polynomial so that the polynomial gives the inverse of a multivariable function such as v=x*sin(x*t),dv=x*x*cos(x*t)

is there any advanced options like there was under XP ? all it seems to be able to do in the performance troubleshooting is give me the option to disable programs which run at startup.

I have run windoiws disk defragment, however it claims it is not fragmented, yet I am sure the page file will be fragmented, and also the MFT.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 1,525 Applies to:
Answer

The default is: Adjust for best performance of: Programs.

Also if you set the Control Panel to "View by: Small icons" you will save a little time.

JS
http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.