Where to Check Event Log to see WHY Latest version of Chrome opening new tab stops ALL other processing

System: I am running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit with all the latest updates, on a fairly new (9 months old) Laptop with good CPU speed and loads of memory.

Back Story:  I typically keep my HP Laptop powered on overnight, and the next morning will simply go back to whatever web pages and applications I had left open the previous evening.

Issue:

This morning when I went to this laptop (which had been "left alone" not doing Anything - for the last 12+ hours), the first thing i did is go to my already-open-and-displaying Chrome (latest vrsion) web browser session - and proceeded to open a new tab (already 6 tabs open, not a lot for my system).

As soon as I positioned my mouse on the New tab and hit <enter>, The system immediately went into "lockup", with the swhirling circle indicatig that Chrome is using resources - AND - Chrome alo 'buried' the current open tabs (a symptom I've seen before on this and other systems when Chrome thinks it is too overloaded/busy).  More to the point, when this happened (and every other time I've seen it happen), NOTHING else - no other action of any kind - on the windows system can be done - not even the three finger salute.

Now - in the past when this has happened, I've figured maybe there **was** something else I'd just been doing which used up resources, so opening the new tab was really **incidental** to the actual problem, and so I didn't bother investigating.  But THIS TIME, the system had been **sitting idle** (with no scheduled background processes either) for over 12 hours.

MY REQUEST:  I am not asking for feedback on how to solve this specific issue (I can [try to] take that to Google).  INSTEAD - I am asking this forum if anyone can point me to the right Windows 7 Administrative Tools / Event Viewer component(s) to try and drill down to see what type of events - system or application or (??) - could have been happening and/or having problems/erros aroud the time of this issue.
- OR -
If there are Any other Microsoft Windows (or suggested third-party) tools, downloadable or otherwise already present - that can help me drill down to **capture** what happened here (if not NOW, then perhaps something I can download/install/configure/set up in the future to run and 'trap" the events causing this issue if it occurs again).
Hi Doug,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the description provided, it looks like you are trying to find the event logs for Google Chrome.

Event Viewer tracks information in several different logs. Windows Logs include:

·
Application (program) events. Events are classified as error, warning, or information, depending on the severity of the event. An error is a significant problem, such as loss of data. A warning is an event that isn't necessarily significant, but might indicate a possible future problem. An information event describes the successful operation of a program, driver, or service.

·
Security-related events. These events are called audits and are described as successful or failed depending on the event, such as whether a user trying to log on to Windows was successful.

·
Setup events. Computers that are configured as domain controllers will have additional logs displayed here.

·
System events. System events are logged by Windows and Windows system services, and are classified as error, warning, or information.

·
Forwarded events. These events are forwarded to this log by other computers.

Applications and Services Logs vary. They include separate logs about the programs that run on your computer, as well as more detailed logs that pertain to specific Windows services.

a.
Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b.
Click an event log in the left pane.

c.
Double-click an event to view the details of the event.

Refer to the following Microsoft article:

If you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

And if you don't want to do it the LONG way.... Click start > type EVENTVWR > hit Enter

Hope this helps.
https://ocdcomputing.wordpress.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi:

I realize I should have been more specific on my question.

I am already **somewhat** familiar with Event Viewer and how to get to it, having gone into it numerous times in the past.   Soo - my question isn't really about how to get to Event Viewer or the basic types of information it provides.

Rather:  I'm trying to determine the following:

(1) Is there a "specific area" in Event Viewer where I might be able to determine Everything that was happening on my computer (or at least everything that Event Viewer tracks) for a Given specific time period?  IF SO:  how do I best/most easily "get to that" or "tell" Event Viewer that's where I want to look? 
[NOTE: I'm asking this question because I kept track of the specific time and date when I experienced the original problem, and therefore I  figure that if I can see everything that Windows - and any Windows applications that Event Viewer tracks -  was doing at that time, I might be able to figure out who the "culprit(s)" were that used up resources or otherwise caused some kind of conflict/issue/problem that impacted Chrome response].

(2) If the above is difficult to do, is there at least a "specific area" in Event Viewer where I might be able to determine every application problem/error (for those application events Event Viewer tracks, if any) that was happening on my computer - again, for a specific date and time?  And how to most easily "get to" this?

(3) Finally:  for future problems of this nature that could occur:  are there any other MicroSoft (or third-party-recommended) tools besides Event Viewer that I could download/install/configure/set up for the purpose of tracking application events (especially web browser sessions, since I use these more than anything else on my computer) on my windows system - that would give me **more** detailed information on problem "causes" than what Event Viewer tracks?  OR Conversely - is there any Beyond-the-default configuration that can be done to Event Viewer itself to ensure it does more detailed drilldown tracking of specific Windows app events?

Hi Doug,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community Forums.

Based on the description provided, it looks like you are trying to find the event logs for Google Chrome.

Event Viewer tracks information in several different logs. Windows Logs include:

·
Application (program) events. Events are classified as error, warning, or information, depending on the severity of the event. An error is a significant problem, such as loss of data. A warning is an event that isn't necessarily significant, but might indicate a possible future problem. An information event describes the successful operation of a program, driver, or service.

·
Security-related events. These events are called audits and are described as successful or failed depending on the event, such as whether a user trying to log on to Windows was successful.

·
Setup events. Computers that are configured as domain controllers will have additional logs displayed here.

·
System events. System events are logged by Windows and Windows system services, and are classified as error, warning, or information.

·
Forwarded events. These events are forwarded to this log by other computers.

Applications and Services Logs vary. They include separate logs about the programs that run on your computer, as well as more detailed logs that pertain to specific Windows services.

a.
Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

b.
Click an event log in the left pane.

c.
Double-click an event to view the details of the event.

Refer to the following Microsoft article:

If you need any other information about Windows, feel free to post your questions and we will be glad to help.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok...something you may want to look at is Process Monitor as it will delve a lot deeper. Hopefully this will give you what you are looking for.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Hope this helps.
https://ocdcomputing.wordpress.com/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cameron O:
Thanks for the feedback.
I've downloaded and used Process "Explorer" in the past, and ALSO downloaded / installed Process "Monitor" but not really used this latter one much.  Before I investigate this product more fully tho, can it be configured to actually "track/log" previous events that have happened?  I thought, like Process Explorer, that it was more of a "real-time" tool - - -

Ok...something you may want to look at is Process Monitor as it will delve a lot deeper. Hopefully this will give you what you are looking for.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Um, I have windows 10, what do I do, I followed ur steps for the event log but after I view the log, I can't do anything to open chrome

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2024 Views 27,753 Applies to: