• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

Where Can I Find Application Data folders in Windows 7?

Virtual Dave asked on

Adobe Illustrator has developed a problem.  I have downloaded a replacement  dll from their site, but the instructions tell me to delete a file found in  Windows XP:  {drive}\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data\Adobe\Adobe  Illustrator CS4 Settings\  which I cannot find the equivilant Windows7 location?

Simply replacing the dll file did not cure my problem so I assume this final step is neccessary.  I did find an app data folder in my user folder but it is empty.

I am trying to restore access to "preferences" in Illustrator, which seems to have locked me out.  The other apps in CS4 allow access to their General Preferences - this is a newly developed problem only with Illustrator.

215 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
IMNdi replied on

Best way to find stuff like that is to use system variables.

Open Explorer and type

%appdata%

And hit enter. You'll go to the Application Data folder. Same goes for other system wide folders, like %temp%, %programdata%, etc

To see a list of system-wide folders published as variables, open a command prompt and type "set"

13 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Steve Winograd replied on

Enable viewing of hidden files and folders, and look in these folders:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Adobe\...
   C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\...
   C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe\...

Boulder Computer Maven
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Steve Winograd
5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress