W7 100% CPU all the time - what can I do about it?

Hi, and thanks in advance for the help. My computer has very little memory so I keep it really clean. Pretty much all I do with it is browse the web and stream media. Recently it has been very slow, and Firefox (49.2) has been hanging all the time. At first I thought it was Firefox, and I followed all their instructions to identify high resource using plugins, etc. I deleted all the history, ran CCleaner, etc. Then I realized that even if I close FF I am still seeing frequent (about every five seconds) spikes to 100% CPU usage, and it frequently runs over 50% even if I am doing nothing at all. I ran Avast and Malwarebytes and MSE - full scan with each one and none of them found anything. Is it possible that my computer resources are being hacked and used by someone else?  Like for bitcoin mining or whatever?  How would I figure this out and stop it?  If that is unlikely, what can I do to improve performance. It seems kind of ridiculous that to open a document or a web page it takes "forever."  Even writing this post I have to type, and then watch the screen while the letters slowly appear ...

Not sure what is relevant to the problem, but I have 4MB of RAM, but only 80GB hard drive (hope I'm saying that right), of which only 29GB is Free. Right now I have 1480 Cached, 1725 Available and ~320 is Free, There are 69 total processes running. The only applications running are FF and two LibreOffice documents.  I checked a couple days ago and the system said I did not need to defrag.

I don't even know if all that stuff has anything to do with CPU spikes, so that's how little I know!!

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Answer
Answer

Click the Start Orb, type "Windows Update" (without quotes) into the Search box, and press Enter.

Is your system "Checking for updates"?

When was the "Most recent check for updates"?

When were updates last installed?

Assuming that you have Windows Update using the default settings, if your system is checking for updates and/or the most recent check for updates was more than a day or so ago, you have the common Windows Update problem. 

If that's the case, see Windows 7 Update Problems? Read this first.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Click the start globe

Type services into the text box that pops up

Click on Services

Find Windows Update in the alphabetic list and right click on it and choose stop.

This is a common problem today resulting from Windows Update running forever in the background.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2018 Views 4 Applies to: