"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80004002

Original title: Volume Shadow Copy fails

Several days ago my system became unstable and none of the restore points would run. The system had Windows 7 Professional installed.

I had a Windows 7 Home Premium CD, so I reinstalled it and many applications. Applications run fine, but I have no Restore points. If I attempt to Start System Restore to create a Restore point, I get the message: "System Restore does not appear to be functioning properly. A Volume Shadow Copy component encountered an unexpected error. Check the Application event log for more information. (0x89942302)" The event viewer says "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance.  hr = 0x80004002, No such interface supported" and a second message "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80004002, No such interface supported". These of course are pure gibberish to an non-expert.

After reading about this in KB, I made sure Volume Shawdow Copy is a running service. It is set to automatic and it is running.

Using an Anytime Upgrade key I have, I attempted to install an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional hoping it might repair a corrupted file, but the upgrade fails because it can't create a new Restore point (Now, I'm chasing my tail!).

I next tried to run sfc /scannow hoping it might repair something, but it returns "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" and a message that details are in CBS.log. I can't open the CBS file (it does not have a log extention, but that isn't the problem, it denies me access even though I'm logged in as admisistrator) However, the Event Viewer System object returns "The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the stopped state". The Security object gives a couple of Information details concerning "Crytographic operation" but these messages  don't look onerous.

I have been working on this computer off and on now for several days. I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated August 30, 2019 Views 3,610 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Randy,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might have caused due to the Volume Shadow Copy service or due to any bad sectors in the drive in which Windows is installed. 

Method 1: Make sure the services related to system restore are started and set to automatic, to do this, follow the steps below:

Services related to System Restore are:

-      Volume shadow copy

-      Multimedia Class Scheduler

-      Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

-      DCOM Server Process Launcher

-      Plug and Play.

Follow the instructions below and set all of the above services to Automatic.

a.    Click the Start button, and in the search box type in: Services.

b.    Press 'Enter' to open Services window.

c.    Find related services that are listed above, and check the Status (started) and Startup Type (automatic).

d.    Double click the service to change the status to started and set startup type to Automatic.

If the issue persists, try this method.

Method 2: Disable your anti-virus software

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Disable-antivirus-software

I would suggest you to try disabling your security software completely and then check if you’re able to run System restore.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software helps protecting your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software and\or troubleshoot any pertinent issue, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to malware attacks.

Method 3:Check drivers for error and follow the below link: 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

Chkdsk disclaimer.

Important: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, while the bad sectors might be recovered however there might be pertinent data loss.

Hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key (alternative is Select Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Information). Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. Reports in normal mode preferred. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your OneDrive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

General notes on Event Viewer
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/syserrors5.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

To Divyu Murugan,

I complied with all three methods, including both the "Automatic fis file system errors" and the "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

System Restore still fails with the same error messages.

I will attempt to generate the reports that Gerry Cornell requested.

Randy

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Gerry,

I have uploaded the files you requested to dropbox. The links are:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idg5wq812ilte3k/Application_Events.evtx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tqpsgjhi38qgpsq/System_Events.evtx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43h951icw4i2dct/System_Info_Randy.txt?dl=0

Thanks,

Randy

Sorry this didn't help.

Randy

Your Event Viewer reports contain a number of complicated reports relating to shadow copies. To simplify proceedings and to aid diagnosis please uninstall Carbonite. Select the keyboard shortcut Windows Key + R, type Appwiz.cpl and press the ENTER key. Place the cursor on < Programme Name >, right click and select Uninstall from the drop down menu. Restart your computer. 

Please restart your computer, allow 30 minutes for the system to run before uploading further information so that the impact of making changes can become apparent.

Please upload and share with everyone fresh copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your One Drive and post a link here. You can remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window expand Windows Logs and select System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Gerry,

My problem existed in the same form and with the same error messages before Carbonite was installed. Would you still like me to remove Carbonite?

Thanks for all your time.

Randy

Sorry this didn't help.

Randy

It will simplify trying to diagnose the problem if third party back up software is not present.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Gerry,

So the sake of expediency, I went ahead and uninstalled Carbonite and created the logs. There are two sets of logs.

The set "before" are after rebooting and waiting 30 minutes. I performed no activity on the computer before that. The set "after" are the logs after attempting a Restore.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bxc10842qtjbnhx/systemlog_before.evtx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wi5miryan79aip/application_before.evtx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvbzt273qq70gdp/system_after.evtx?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otqsywccx51e3mf/application_after.evtx?dl=0

An issue with permissions seems to thread this problem. When I reinstalled Windows 7 Home was there a chance I created a new volume and hid another.  If so, is there a way to check this?

Thanks again,

Randy

Sorry this didn't help.

Randy

Log Name:      Application

Source:        VSS

Date:          04/04/2015 15:43:50

Event ID:      22

Level:         Error

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: A critical component required by the Volume Shadow Copy service is not registered. This might happened if an error occurred during Windows setup or during installation of a Shadow Copy provider. The error returned from CoCreateInstance on class with CLSID {e579ab5f-1cc4-44b4-bed9-de0991ff0623} and Name IVssCoordinatorEx2 is [0x80004002, No such interface supported

].

Operation:

Instantiating VSS server

Select Start, Run, type regedit and press the ENTER key. Navigate to the entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VSS\Providers

Please post an image of what you see. This is what appears on this computer:

When I reinstalled Windows 7 Home was there a chance I created a new volume and hid another. 

I think I might have noticed something if you had. From what media did you install the current Windows installation?

I am away from tomorrow and will be returning to the fray on Tuesday.

Gerry
Enquire Plan Execute

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Gerry,

Here is the image. Unfortunately, it looks identical to yours. This takes me back to the permissions problem. It seems like VSS doesn't have permission to run. When I reinstalled Windows, I used a retail store Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade CD I had used years ago to upgrade my system from Windows XP. It was an upgrade CD. At a later date I installed a Windows 7 Professional version over my 7 Home Premium. That all worked fine for a long time, including a Restore or two.

Recently, when my system become slow and unstable, I attempted a Restore. The Restore started (unlike the current issue where Restore won't even start) but after running awhile it returned a message that the Restore failed, please try another Restore point. I tried all listed Restore points and none worked.

I then tried a new install of Windows 7 Home Premium using the same years old CD. That seemed to go OK. I then began installing many apps, including an old Windows 2000 office suite that I've used for years. That old suite had worked fine before my system went unstable a week ago. All my apps were working fine and I was happy. Then I decided to install the Windows 7 Professional upgrade that I had a Microsoft product key for. It would not install because it could not create a Restore point. At that point, I noticed there were no Restore points from my previous application installs, and that I could not open Restore to manually create a Restore point. That was disconcerting because I now have a system with no ability to Restore.

It only takes me a few hours to reinstall the most important applications that I use. Should I just try another Windows 7 Home Premium install? Although, I don't know what would be different. If I format C: before I try another install, I presume my Home Premium update CD won't install a fresh 7 system.

If I create a system recovery CD, might it not just replicate the setup with the same issue?

You have been extremely patient and helpful!

Randy

Sorry this didn't help.