When computer wake up it is frozen or locking up to the point I cannot use it. I also receive black screen.

Original Title: Very Odd Windows 7 Problem ...

Hi,

Hoping someone can help with this issue. Started all of a sudden with Windows 7, no new hardware no new software. I will come home from work or wake up in the morning and the computer is frozen or locking up to the point I cannot use it.
I reboot and it will work for a minute of two, but then stops responding, starts again for a few seconds, stops, locks up, etc. Seems to be very busy with something going on in the background.
I cannot get to the Task Manager, it gives me an error.
It will do this for about an hour as I reboot after a total lock-ups. Then all of a sudden, it comes back and the computer will be fine for a few days. Then it starts again.
I also noticed once in while instead of going to my screen saver, it will just go to a black screen, I have to CNTL-ALT-DELETE to get it back to desktop. This is new as well.
Regretfully I looked to do a system restore, but it was never configured, so I have no points to restore to.

I took a snap shot of the event log, but does not look like I can post a picture, but it all seems to start like this from top to bottom:

Warning Time-Service 36
Error Service Control Manager 7011
Error iaStor 9
Error iaStor 9
Error DistributedCOM 10010
Error iaStor 9
Error iaStor 9
Error Search 1023

It continues and more errors pop up until you see where I have to force a shutdown.

What other info can I supply to help diagnose this? I can email the screen shot if you want.

PLEASE HELP!! This going to give me an ulcer!

Thanks,
Joe

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Joe,

Not to worry, we are here to help you. To help you with this issue, please reply us with the below information.

What is the make and model of your computer?

On checking the event logs, it appears that Service Control Manager failed to start. Service Control Manager is the database of all the services available in the computer and it failed to load. 

I would suggest you to follow the steps provided below and update us on the status of the issue.

Method 1: To avoid third party application interference, let's start your computer in safe mode and then check in the clean boot mode.

Step 1: Let's boot your computer to safe mode and check.

To boot to safe mode, refer to the suggestions from the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

If it works fine in safe mode, perform clean boot to find the root cause.

Step 2: Let’s clean start the operating system

We recommend you to clean start the operating system to determine if other programs are interfering with this application. To do this, see this article on how to clean start your computer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After checking the functionality in clean boot, follow the suggestions under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot”.

Method 2: As you are getting black screen,  I would suggest you to update the display adapter drivers.

Refer to the suggestions from the following link.

Update a driver for hardware that isn't working properly

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Method 3: Error iaStor 9, might be caused when the operating system cannot access the data on the hard disk.

Let's check your hard disk for errors.

This tool will help us to find the bad sectors on your hard disk and try to repair them.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

Hope the information provided is useful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks!

System is:
Dell Studio XPS 9100

Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU *** Email address is removed for privacy *** GHz 12.0 GB RAM

64-bit Windows 7

Will try checking hard disk and update display drive this weekend as a first attempt and keep my fingers crossed.

Joe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

For the updates, I see 2 important:

Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455) 32- Bit Edition
Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - Sept 2013

Optional:
I do see a Dell Inc. - Display - Dell ST2420L(Analog)

Then there are three:
Update for Windows 7 for x64 - based Systems (KB2574819, KB2592687, KB2709981)

Should I go head with all of these updates? Don't want to make it worse.

Thanks,
Joe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Joe,

First Install the important updates and then install the optional updates.

As a safety precaution, you may create a system restore point before installing updates. If you face any issues after installing updates, you may restore the computer to the previous working date.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows7/create-a-restore-point

Install all these updates in clean boot mode. For the detailed instructions on how to perform clean boot, you may refer to Step 2 from the previous post.

Hope this helps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I waited to do some of this because of time constraints. I left the computer up for two weeks, only keeping Outlook open for email. Computer seemed stable most of the time, no complete lockups that I could not recover from.

I did the disk check and it came back "clean", no errors.

When I attempted to do the Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455) 32- Bit Edition update, after 20 minutes, it showed no progress, so I stopped the installation. This update does not want to install.

For the times the computer was not stable, here is what would happen. Computer screen would go blank and I could not get out of it unless I hit ctrl-alt-delele. Email would not come down from my provider during the 9:01 - 9:15 time frame and this is the mess of errors:

Error      10/13/2013 9:15:06 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/13/2013 9:15:06 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/13/2013 9:14:16 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/13/2013 9:14:16 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Warning               10/13/2013 9:07:50 PM  Search  10023    Gatherer

Error      10/13/2013 9:02:50 PM  DistributedCOM               10010    None

Error      10/13/2013 9:01:56 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/13/2013 9:01:56 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/13/2013 9:01:19 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/13/2013 9:01:19 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Warning               10/13/2013 8:56:37 PM  Search  10023    Gatherer

Error      10/13/2013 8:50:45 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/13/2013 8:50:45 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/13/2013 8:50:08 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/13/2013 8:50:08 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/13/2013 8:49:13 PM  DistributedCOM               10005    None

Error      10/13/2013 8:49:13 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/13/2013 8:49:13 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/13/2013 8:21:25 PM  iaStor    9              None

Error      10/13/2013 8:18:24 PM  iaStor    9              None

Error      10/13/2013 8:15:23 PM  iaStor    9              None

Outlook also is very slow.
I appreciate all your help so far. What is my next move on this?

Thanks!!
Joe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Coincidentally enough right after this post, it started crashing hard again. Computer just locks up, second hand on my widget clock even stops moving as something in background is processing. After about 2 minutes it comes back up. when I notice the screen saver is not up, I know the computer is locked up. It does this often. It eventually goes to the black screen and I have to keep hitting ctrl-alt-delete to get it out. This time I got an error pop-up box

Microsoft .NET Framwork

Unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application.

Was talking about waiting for "Snap-ins".

and this is the group of errors associated with this last occurrence:

Error      10/16/2013 9:07:29 PM  DistributedCOM               10010    None

Warning               10/16/2013 7:57:16 PM  Search  10023    Gatherer

Warning               10/16/2013 7:50:16 PM  Search  10023    Gatherer

Warning               10/16/2013 7:43:16 PM  Search  10023    Gatherer

Error      10/16/2013 7:39:30 PM  DistributedCOM               10010    None

Error      10/16/2013 7:34:22 PM  volsnap                14           None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:37 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:37 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:37 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:37 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:36 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:36 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:02 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:02 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:02 PM  Service Control Manager              7000       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:18:02 PM  Service Control Manager              7009       None

Error      10/16/2013 7:16:28 PM  Kernel-EventTracing       3              Session

Warning               10/16/2013 7:16:28 PM  Kernel-EventTracing       4              Logging

HELP!!!!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. Type System Information in the Search Box above the start Button and press the ENTER key. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload to your Sky Drive, share with everyone and post a link here. Please say if the report has been obtained in safe mode.

Please upload and share with everyone copies of your System and Application logs from your Event Viewer to your Sky Drive and post a link here.

To access the System log select Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, from the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do the same for the Applications log. Do not provide filtered files.

For help with Sky Drive see paragraph 9.3:
http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/syserrors5.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks. OK Three files should be here:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9C4AB1C6B8FD9215!115&authkey=!AE_V2opn7B7SlP0

or

http://sdrv.ms/1gQIHKg

Please let me know if they can not be seen, never used Sky Drive before.

Thanks for the help.

These are the public links if the above don't work:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9C4AB1C6B8FD9215!116

or

http://sdrv.ms/1gQJ6fC

Should be covered!

Joe

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Update Seagate ST31000524AS Firmware
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/studio-xps-9100?driverId=VT38P&fileId=3176006579&osCode=W764&languageCode=en&categoryId=SA#OldVersion

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Norton Ghost
Date:          16/10/13 08:00:10
Event ID:      100
Level:         Error
Description:
The description for Event ID 100 from source Norton Ghost cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
The following information was included with the event:
Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: My Computer Backup.
              Error EC8F1772: The following component is not installed correctly: Symantec.Imaging.Imager.

Error EBAB03F1: Unspecified error. (UMI:V-281-3215-6071)

Do you really need Norton Ghost? Does it work? In March 2013, Symantec has announced that Norton Ghost will be discontinued as of April 30, 2013. Support will be provided through June 30, 2014. New and existing Ghost customers are referred to the Symantec System Recovery software instead. I suugest you remove.

McAfee is a poor choice. This could be what is what is tying up resources. I suggest it is removed and replaced with Microsoft Security Essentials and the Windows Firewall.

McAfee removal tool

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331
Manual Removal of Virus Scan Enterprise:
https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2371

Install Microsoft Security Essentials:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=5201

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Will update seagate.

When I started having issues I unplugged my external drive to eliminate them as the iostor errors. I just have not bothered plugging them back in. Hence the Norton Errors. It has worked fine in the past, but I can remove it.

I will remove the McAfee software and see if that stabilized the system.

I also had the issue stated above:

"When I attempted to do the Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2687455) 32- Bit Edition update, after 20 minutes, it showed no progress, so I stopped the installation. This update does not want to install. "

Any advice on what I should do for that?

Thanks very much for the help so far!!!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 6, 2019 Views 966 Applies to: