"USB Mass Storage Device is not working properly" message

Ran AVG PC tune-up and it returned the problem message "USB mass storage device not working properly". I went to device manager, clicked on "Universal Serial bus controllers. It showed the USB mass storage device with a yellow exclamation mark. I double clicked it, went to drivers and updated the driver. I received a message that the driver was already updated and got a message "device cannot start (code 10).

I thought that maybe it was looking for the external mass storage device and plugged that into the USB port. It showed in device manager beneath the other mass storage device but did not have the yellow exclamation mark (I assume that means it's fine).

Is there an internal device and what can I do about this problem? My tune-up program said that this error could cause my computer to crash often or it may go for a long time without responding (which it does).

Hate to be this longwinded but wanted to present all the facts.

Can someone please help me get this figured out? Thank you in advance.

Question Info

Last updated March 1, 2019 Views 1,544 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello Sammy,

Thank you for providing a detailed information on your issue. I appreciate the step-by-step troubleshooting and the pains you took to resolve your issue. However, there are a few more steps that we can try to diagnose the root cause and check your system health, in order to fix the issue permanently.

Microsoft does not recommend using third party tune up software. As running these software might damage the registries.

For the issue with error code 10, I would request you to try the steps provided below:

A Code 10 error is generated in Device Manager in one of the following situations:

1. Device Manager can't start the device.
  2. One of the drivers that the device needs does not start.
  3. Device Manager has insufficient information to recognize the error that is bubbled up by the device driver.

Note: In this situation, the Code 10 error can be a very generic message that indicates some kind of unspecified driver or device problem.

The Code 10 error is mainly related to hardware and device driver issues or to compatibility issues between hardware drivers and additional software that is installed in Windows. Therefore, we recommend that you troubleshoot these issues by focusing on device drivers, on device configuration issues, and on hardware compatibility issues.

I would suggest you to follow the steps provided in the following Microsoft article and see if it works for you.

Fix: "This device cannot start" Code 10 error in Device Manager in Windows

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Ramesh Kumar.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.