Unmovable file 'MpScanCache-1.bin' at the end of disk

The file 'MpScanCache-1.bin' at the location "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Microsoft Antimalware\Scans\History\CacheManager" in my computer is labelled as an 'unmovable file' and is blocking my disk partition space.It is located near the end of the drive.The file size is 2.2MB but it is blocking over 100GB of free space from partitioning.How can i delete/move this file without harming my computer?
I tried by stopping the 'Microsoft AntiMalware Service' and booting in safe mode but it still shows that i need administrator privileges to modify this file(even though i am the administrator, and also tried moving it by command prompt but that too failed).
I have already defragmented my disk several times and also disabled page file and hibernation.The cluster containing 'MpScanCache-1.bin' is now the only one blocking partition.Please suggest a method to move or temporary disable this file so that disk gets properly defragmented.
|
Answer
Answer

Hi,

What is the security software installed on your computer?

You have to take the ownership of the file before do anything with it.

Follow the suggestion given by John Rubdy and SpiritX in the thread below. Once you have ownership of the file then you should be able to delete more or copy it.

Disable the security software temporarily and perform the steps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/how-do-i-change-folder-and-file-permissions/465f2b42-63dd-4486-8dd1-c870290efeed

Hope the above information is helpful.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 1,411 Applies to: