Question

Q: Unable to perform system restore, error 0x80042308

hi all--this laptop has never created a system restore point, and can't backup either :-/ i read other suggestions for this issue, and came to this:
  • Volume Shadow Copy service restarted
  • Windows Backup service restarted
  • Windows Defender is off
  • chkdsk found no problems
  • sfc found corrupt files but was unable to fix them
  • if i'm reading CBS.log right, DWrite.dll is corrupt "source file in store is also corrupted." no idea what this is, though
--
Windows 7 Pro 64, Lenovo ThinkPad X230T, SSD, intel core i5 2x2.6GHz, 8GB RAM

Hi,

Welcome to the Microsoft Community.

Based on the information, you are unable to perform System restore due to the error 0x80042308.

Since you have tried all the troubleshooting steps and SFC scan logs report corrupted DWrite.dll file, let’s refer to the SFC scan article and try the steps provided for Step 2: “If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file”.

Use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Note: You may need to copy the DWrite.dll from a different Windows 7 computer or use Windows 7 installation disc to replace the same.

Hope it helps.

Post back with the results of the troubleshooting steps provided. If you need any assistance regarding Windows let us know and we will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Praseetha,

I have the similar issue with my windows7.

I ran sfc at command prompt and it prompted

Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

As suggested by your reply, I ran sfc at safe mode, but still encountered Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

Could you please advise what should i do now?

Right now i could not perform "Create restore point" and "Backup computer"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 4,275 Last updated: March 18, 2018 Applies to: