Question

Q: Unable to change process priority in task manager

Ive recently installed x86 windows 7 RC1 and found that when running 2 copies of world of warcraft (dual-boxing) + ventrilo (+ other scattered programs ... Vuze / MSN etc) that both windows in world of warcraft suffer massively in terms of both frame-rate and responsiveness when swapping between windows. Ive also noticed, that the system doesnt seem to allow ventrilo any processor time, which inturn makes the voice function in vent suffer ... becoming laggy and jagged when sending any voice data. Ive tried allocating more processor time for the programs, but windows gives me the error "This operation could not be completed, Access Denied". This didnt occur under Beta to my knowledge. I also havent tested this within safe mode ...

Now i understand the system security specifics and believe i have given myself all the correct admin security priviledges, but im still getting this error, even if i run the programs as administrator, they are still suffering from small amounts of processor time.

Ive got a fairly strong system, so its not as if there is limited resources - this has me boggled.

Intel E8400 @ 3.00 Ghz
Gigabyte - EP45-DS4P - Motherboard
4 Gig DDR2
2 x Crossfire 4670

Drivers are all current
Virus Scanner is the only program running outside of the ones mentioned.

Answer

A:

Hello, ApolloFury

I am happy to offer some suggestions, but you will need to go to the Windows 7 Support forums at the following link for help with troubleshooting: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/w7itpro

After you open the Task Manager, click Show Processes from all users to ensure it is running as an Administrator. To split the load, set each instance to its own core by right clicking the process, Set Affinity and ensure only a single core is selected. Select the other core for the second instance. If you have a second hard drive, running the second instance from the second hard drive should also increase performance.

Lower your settings to minimum in game.

You may also want to try choosing a basic theme to disable the Aero interface.

If your Anti-Virus scans on file access, it can cause additional slowdown as well with largefiles.

I hope this helps.

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

25 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 103,550 Last updated: July 15, 2018 Applies to: