Task Scheduler Error Message "The Selected Task "{0}" no longer exists. To see the current Tasks, click Refresh"

Hi, I am kinda new to this help system, but over the past few days I have had some weird things happening due to Task Scheduler. Like many people who have this issue, as I have searched Google extensively to find answers, but nothing is helping that I understand fully, but many people have this issue and I was hoping someone can help me.

The issue started about a week ago, approximately. What I first started to see was a black screen, which looked like the CMD window, but it was named something like the word "task ....... " I did a search on why this window was opening, which then lead me to finding the errors with Task Scheduler. The errors I was getting was when I started to open the Task Scheduler windows, I would get a few pop ups of 2 errors that would repeat.

The 1st error message was:- "the selected task "{0}" no longer exists. to see the current task, click refresh"
Followed by this 2nd error message:  "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it"

These 2 error messages always appear when I open up the task scheduler window. All the searching for repair fixes etc, haven't really helped me to fix this issue. I have followed several website instructions, doing the cmd window "sfc/scannow" check which comes up fine. I have backed up my registry for the entire HKLM registry, and tried to follow some instructions, but haven't been able to do the regedit instructions due to me not knowing exactly which parts to remove. I will list the websites that I have got all this help and information from, so you know what I am referring to.

I have also opened up the Task Scheduler window and clicked on each folder separately to see which ones bring up the error messages, and I know 2 exact folders that bring up the pop ups and have deleted them to the recycle bin, then restarted the task scheduler, but when I do, the top line which is called "Task Scheduler (Local) ends up with a red circle with a - symbol inside it and when I did a search about this icon, I could only find results regarding a red circle with a red X not with the - which is what I am seeing. Also when I have deleted the 2 folders that the pop up error messages show up on, the task scheduler program doesn't load properly, and sometimes I may need to close and re-open again and again until it loads.

I have tried to do a system restore, but when the computer loads back up after it is completed, I get another message saying that the system restore couldn't be completed due an anti virus program installed. I have completely disabled the KIS 2012 from the startup options in the "msconfig" screen, but I still get that message. I have also tried to do a repair with windows 7 disc, but I am not entirely sure what I am meant to select with it.

As you can see I have tried alot, but also alot that I have tried, may not have properly been done correctly due to lack of complete instructions, such as the option to go to tasks in HKLM in regedit, it says to delete the keys on the right hand side, but there is nothing named keys, so I never deleted anything. Anyway I sincerely hope someone can help me with this issue I am having.

I am getting the error 3 times for: "the selected task "{0}" no longer exists. to see the current task, click refresh"
and 2 times for: "Task Scheduler service is not available. Task Scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it"

I know the amount of pop ups are due to telling me how many conflictions there are. The 2 files that I definitely know that are giving me this pop up are in the System32 menu in the tasks folder which the folders names are called: "OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform" with 1 file within it named: "SvcRestartTask" and the 2nd folder is named: "WPD" with only 1 file in it called: "SqmUpload_S-1-5-21-1378433971-4089192727-2763087148-1000"

A couple of the websites I have viewed help from on this subject are as follows:

I am running Windows 7 - 32 bit Home Premium
CPU: AMD Athlon(TM) II X4 640 Processor  3.00 GHz
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 430
RAM:  4.00 GM (3.25 GB usable) 
TV Tuner Card with capture: WinFast DTV2000 H Plus

I hope all this information will be able to help you guys to help me. I will check on this post every couple of hours to view the progress and the help that I have been given. Thank You.

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2019 Views 4,022 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi alison22000,

Let’s perform a repair installation which will restore the current Windows installation to the version of the installation DVD. This also requires the installation of all updates that are not included on the installation DVD.

Note Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer.

To perform a repair installation of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, follow these steps:

1. Close all the running applications.

2. Insert the Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.

3. In the Setup window, click Install Now.

Note If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then type Drive:\setup.exe in the Start Search box.

Note The drive placeholder is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.

In the Programs list, click Setup.exe.

In the Setup window, click Install Now.

1. Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).

2. Type the CD key if you are prompted to do this.

3. Select the operating system in "Install Windows" page you want to Upgrade or Inplace.

4. Click Yes to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.

5. On the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Upgrade.

6. When the installation is complete, restart your computer.

Refer: How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Hope the information helps.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Windows 7 Home Premium CD started going through a beginning step of checking compatibility, then half way through I got this message, which I copied:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

• Your current version of Windows is more recent than the version you are trying to upgrade to. Windows cannot complete the upgrade.

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)
  • iTunes (Please deauthorize computer prior to upgrade)
  • MagicISO Virtual CD/DVD Manager *
  • ATI CATALYST Install Manager *
  • Acrobat Reader 7 

I believe it has to do with me also having Service Pack 1 installed, which I will go ahead and uninstall and fix these other programs then I will re-run this procedure again. I will wait an hour or 2 before doing this in case I get a reply telling me not to do this. Thanks :)
The World has to start Loving more and Stop all Wars, for a more loving & happier place to live in

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I uninstalled Service Pack 1 as I have had issues with SP 1 before, causing me problems, so now the upgrade should work ok, so I am going ahead to try it out.

I should also mention that I have seen 1 strange issue when I have been running a restart of my computer. After it asks if you want to boot from dc and you press nothing and let it go normally, now my system is opening up a selection to choose Windows 7 or Windows 7 Home premium (recovered)

I believe this is partially to the repair install I truied to do prior to coming to this website, when I was told to do a boot from cd repair, now if I select Win 7 home premium (recovered) I get the window that asks if you want to run normally or safe mode etc, if i select normal it crashes with that quick flash of that blue page.

If I select Windows 7 only, it just loads up normally, how can I get around this so it goes back to the way it use to be?

One last thing, I don't mind removing the programs that the Win Install CD told me to do, but 1 of them is my Graphics card install program, I think, and doing a search on that to see if I should remove it lead me to websites saying not to, what should i do, maybe I should wait at this point until I get a reply from you. Thanks :)
The World has to start Loving more and Stop all Wars, for a more loving & happier place to live in

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, I still need help. I disabled authorization for computer on Itunes, but I really need help regarding this ATI Catalyst Install manager program and trying to make sure what it is for and how I can remove and re-install it without issues.

The other stuff is easy to remove and not worry about, but I do really need this help, as I cannot do this upgrade with this stuff on my computer, Please help. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

I finally got to do the Upgrade with the Windows CD, and although alot was fixed, I still have the problem with the Task Scheduler, but now instead of 3 pop ups, it is only 2.

That Install manager I was worried about, I didn't need it, as I have no ATI products installed, I spoke to my computer tech about it, after i uninstalled all those things, the Upgrade worked.

I now have 113 Important Upgrades and 5 Optional Upgrades, I wont install them until I get a go ahead from you, I just hope I haven't been forgotten, since it has been quite a few days without a single reply, I might post a new question asking if I have been forgotten, and post this link, as I clicked the vote option that the answer you gave was helpful on the left of your 1st post, but I didn't click my answer was solved, so I don't know what is happening, it maybe disabled my help question. Thanks :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message
I merged the two threads because they were basically the same topic.

Were you ever able to complete the repair install?

Cat herder
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
http://www.zigzag3143.com/

Sorry this didn't help.

As my last post stated, I completed the instructions that you provided, and selected the Upgrade option and it worked all good, but when it finsished, it said it had to install net Framework etc, so it did that, and now it is asking me to install 113 important updates and 4 or 5 optional updates, but I still have the same problem with the Task Sheduler. Although, with the Task Sheduler, I am now only getting 2 sets of pop ups, instead of the 3 I was getting, so the repair helped a little.

In summary, Yes the Repair Install Upgrade I was told to do, did work, but I do still have 2 errors with the Task Schedular.

Sorry this didn't help.

Darn It, I tried calling Microsoft to get some faster help about this and they tell me I have to pay $80.00, what ever happened to a warranty, and I have been trying to get help from here and I feel like I am forgotten, can I get some help please, this problem is really upsetting me, and without ongoing support how am I meant to fix it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Method 1:

I would suggest you to perform clean boot and check.

Place the computer in a clean boot state and then check if it helps. You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

To set the computer in clean boot, follow the steps from the link: How to perform a clean boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

NOTE: Make sure that you perform “step 7” from link mentioned above to boot your computer normally.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to download and install Microsoft safety scanner and run the scan and check.

http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx

Note: The Microsoft Safety Scanner expires 10 days after being downloaded. To rerun a scan with the latest anti-malware definitions, download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner again.

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

Sorry this didn't help.

Allison

Please proceed with the update provided by Windows Updates.

Please also check if Task Scheduler is running.

Click Start

Type services.msc

Find Task Scheduler in the list of services

Be sure that it is Started and Set to Automatic Startup

If any of these are not the case.

Right Click on Task Scheduler and select Properties

Click on Start button to Start the Service

If Automatic is not set correctly, pull Down the Startup Type and select Automatic

Sorry this didn't help.