System restore does not work any more. Error message source %SystemRoot%\registration destination ComPlusStaging. Volume Shadow Copy set to automatic. System Restore reset several times.

New Sony Vaio, Windows 7 Professional, Avast AV, PCTools Firewall. Problems from day one. BSOD (not seen since Windows 98) randomly appearing, big memory dumps, no obvious reasons. After about 2 weeks I found that System Restore was not working which surprises me since MS have said that the OS is stable and reliable. Searched this forum and many others via Google and tried many of the suggested solutions but to no avail.

System Restore is an important facility and I just do not understand how it can be broken so easily. It appears to be common place amongst Win 7 users judging by the number of posts on the topic, so why has MS not issued a fix to protect System Restore? Silly question I suppose  having no answer.

Please, if any contributors to this excellent forum can help to get my System Restore back to working order I would be truly grateful. I have spent more than a week trying to find a solution without posting here but have failed in my endeavour.

TIA

Raymond Griggs

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2019 Views 5,989 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Gerry

Trust the festivities went well?

Sony have given up on the System Restore issue and told me that the only solution is to return it to them for a reversion to as delivered status.

I've decided to take your earlier advice and forget about it and use a third party backup system.

Easeus Todo Backup just released in updated form for free. New UI and services, just backed up my C:\ drive in around 15 minutes.

It's worth a look as is their new version free Partition Manager.

Thank you for all of your help which has been invaluable.

Best for 2011

Raymond Griggs

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.