svchost.exe (netsvcs) using a ton of CPU

My Toshiba laptop is extremely slow an I've found out that svchost.exe is using up 85-95% of available CPU (consitently running at 100%).  I've done full virus scan, in and out of safe mode, with Norton, Malwarebytes and Spybot with no threats found.  I installed Process Manager and all of the systems that are running on this instance of svchost seem to be typical functions like Windows Update and Themes.  Firefox can run ok, but Internet Explorer just freezes and everything is generally slow.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Answer
Answer

Hi Jack,

-Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

svchost.exe (Service Host, or SvcHost) is a system process which hosts multiple Windows services. It is essential in the implementation of so-called shared service processes, where a number of services can share a process in order to reduce resource consumption. Sometimes viruses can spoof themselves as system files.

I would suggest you to refer to the reply posted by “Waseemulla Shariff” from this thread: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/svchostexe-32-using-100-cpu-usage/eb1d9402-ea31-47e4-87ee-5c3874ce21d3

Reply with the status of the issue and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 15, 2020 Views 58,574 Applies to: