Strange Hibernation and Wake up Behaviour

I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate after changing motherboard and processor. Windows 7 does not allow replacing the drivers, like XP! Silly, but true. It was OK at the beginning. After installing Avira anti-virus and Firefox there were changes with hibernation, but I don’t believe this to be the cause.

The hibernation was set with the power configuration and was OK before. It is still there and works at the set time, but is disappeared from the Shut down links on the start menu, all the other options remaining. It disappeared also from the shut down menu called with Alt-F4. If I use the hibernation key on the keyboard it behaves OK. However, if I use either the sleep key on the keyboard or the option on the start menu, it sometimes behaves correctly while other times it does go into sleep, but awakes back immediately by itself, in less than two seconds.

Furthermore, waking up from hibernation takes a very long time. All goes well when the computer starts, but when Resuming Windows appears is slows down, and we can see the little balls moving very slowly followed by the Windows log shrinking and expanding extremely slowly. It can take five minutes to wake up. I tried to use the upgrade OS installation option over the existent one (it took about twice the time as for a clean install). Nothing changed. Also, I tried the command line powercfg –h and I received the answer Invalid Parameters -- try "/?" for help . The help says it is correct, but it is not accepted. What can this be? Any suggestion to solve this problem would be welcome, thank you.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi donnabilln,

This might be a driver issue. I would suggest you to download and install the latest drivers for your display adapter at your display adapter manufacturer's website.

Also update the chipset software from manufacturer’s website.

Also check for latest windows updates.

Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Sleep-and-hibernation-frequently-asked-questions

Update drivers: recommended links

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-drivers-recommended-links

Hope this information is helpful. Please let us know if you require further help.

Regards,
Manasa P – Microsoft Support

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Manasa,

Thank you for helping, but who is donnabilln

Anyway, I followed your links and found out my drivers were already updated. I had done it. I also receive the Windows updates. At this moment I have over 50 for Windows and Office, which I installed meanwhile. If this issue comes from obsolete drivers or missing updates, how can I find from which one? Surely not from Office or its updates because it was already there before it was installed. Also, when simply shutting down, it can take over five minuts. 

However, I have read many people complaining about issues after downloading updates. Do you think it could be from that? Is it worth to remove all updates to check if it will be from one of them? Can I do it and reinstall the updates afterwards without getting into further problems? Tell me, please. 

When Resuming Windows appears it slows down enormously; the logo above shrinks and enlarges extremely slowly, and I now counted about 19 full cycles, too many. After resuming it becomes normal again. What is strange is that the hibernation links all disappeared except for those on all the power plans settings, but the computer does go into sleep and hibernation according to what is set up on the plans. So if the hibernation links disappeared, that is not much of a problem, but it is useless to hibernate when waking up takes so long.

Thanks

-------------------------------------

UPDATE

On the Event Viewer I looked up the Performance Diagnostics of the Service logs, and found some references as follows. I repeat only the significant lines.

Windows has started up:
     Boot Duration        :  101958ms
     IsDegradation        :  false
     Incident Time (UTC)    :   ‎2010‎-‎04‎-‎29T03:35:50.624800200Z

Log Name:    Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational
Source:    Diagnostics-Performance
Event ID:    100    Task Category: Boot Performance Monitoring
Level:        Errror
User:        Local Service
OpCode:    Boot Information

This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process:
  File Name:    cbVSCService.exe
  Friendly Name    :  Cobian Backup Boletus VSC service

Event ID:    101
Level:        Warning
OpCode:    Boot Information

Windows has shutdown:
     Shutdown Duration    :    65308ms
     IsDegradation        :    false

Event ID:    200
Level:        Error
Op<code:    Shutdown Information

The error numbers are not specific and do not have a precise definition on the Event Log Online .

The cause might be from a driver. Through the years I have noticed that when I change for a new motherboard, sleep and hibernation are not always present with the Windows drivers, but I have used the manufacturer’s and can’t find newer ones on their sites. Hence my problem. Will it really be from a driver or something else?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

I could solve the long shutdown problem without help. As it is a home computer and no one else using it but me, there are no secrets to keep on the page file. By not clearing the page file it shuts down in a flash.

However, I could not solve the problem with long time on waking from hibernation. Booting time is reasonable. Searching again on the performance event logs, I found new critical references. These are the only meaning lines of three logs in chronological order (older first, but not really important):

This driver caused a delay during standby while servicing a device:
     Driver File Name           :      \Driver\atikmdag
     Driver Friendly Name     :      ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
     Driver Version                :      8.01.01.961
     Driver Total Time           :      50ms
     Driver Degradation Time :      66ms
     Device <!-- [if gte mso 10]> <mce:style> Name                  :      PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_
9710&SUBSYS_83A21043&REV_00\4&8c88dc&0&2808
     Device Friendly Name     :      ATI Radeon HD 4200
     Device Total Time           :      50ms
     Device Degradation Time :      0ms

Log Name:  Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Source:       Diagnostics-Performance
Event ID:    300 Task                 Category:  Standby Performance Monitoring
Level:         Critical                   Keywords:  Event Log
OpCode:     Standby Information

This startup service took longer than expected to startup, resulting in a performance degradation in the system start up process:
     File Name           :         audioendpointbuilder
     Friendly Name     :        Windows Audio Service
     Version                :        6.1.7600.16385
     Total Time           :        515ms
     Degradation Time :        258ms

Event ID:    103                 Task Category:  Boot Performance Monitoring

Level:         Warning           Keywords:  Event Log
OpCode:     Boot Degradation

Windows has resumed from standby:
     Standby Duration           :           29503ms
     Resume  Duration           :          244820ms
     IsDegradation                 :          false

Log Name:  Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Source:        Diagnostics-Performance
Event ID:    300                 Task Category:  Standby Performance Monitoring
Level:         Critical            Keywords:        Event Log
OpCode:     Standby Information.

From what we can read the fault seems to be on the ASUS/ATI atikmdag.sys VGA driver file. However, as I said on my first post, all drivers are up to date, including this one and according to the manufacturer’s web site. The driver version is mentioned on one of the logs and can be checked here . All I can do is to apply an older driver still available on that site. The same applies to the audio driver.

Then, I read some specific information on this drive on ASUS web site here . This thread has been here for some time without a solution or feedback, even if I believe it has sufficient information. If the information is not enough, please ask what else I must provide.

Can someone tell me what I can do, please?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Straydog,

I suggest you to uninstall and re-install the Display drivers and then check for the issue.

a. Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.‌

b.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c. Look for the Display adapter drivers, right click on it and select
Uninstall.
d. Reboot the computer.

e. On reboot, Windows 7 should re-install the drivers automatically.

Hope this helps. Get back to us with results.

Regards,
Manasa P – Microsoft Support.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Manasa,

I followed your instructions, thanks. Windows found the drivers both for audio and video with the same version number, but not exactly the same. I can't find the faulty atikmdag.sys file is not found on the driver details list on the of display adapter proprieties. So it is probably not coming from that alone. However, the display configuration on Catalyst Control Center is no longer available. The hibernation option on the Start Menu / Shut down  didn't come back even if hibernation is still possible as before with the keyboard as selected on the power configuration options — this didn't change. Worse, the awake time from hibernation, the main issue, didn't change either.

I have found some references to diagnostics with Visual Studio 2010 Diagnostic Tool. I downloaded the file and I have the results on the hibernation-resume tracing. I don't have enough knowledge to understand the results, so I have uploaded them for someone read them and please tell me what they mean and what I have to do. The files can be downloaded. I made two settings. One contains a set with all the four traces. The other one only the Hibernate+Resume tracing.

I hope someone can help me on solving this very annoying issue, please.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I can't analyze the boot and hibernation traces, because they lost a lot of information. I only saw, that Write Caching is disabled on your HDDs. Why did you disable it?

Enable it and check if the issues are gone.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for answering, André. As you can see, waking up from hibernation takes so long that I can’t hibernate. I have been searching for a solution much before I opened this thread (look up the date, please).

Well, I am surprised for your two remarks.

First, I just uploaded the tracing test directly copied from the temporary file well after it ended. I have just uploaded a fresh one now with Filezilla. If the same thing happens I don’t know why, maybe you do and could tell me how to correct it. I’ll have to provide you with the needed data.

Second, the write caching settings is something strange because I have never tried to change that on the HDDs. So I went to look up and change, but then I was astonished to find that the tab to set it up is not where it should be for two of my hard disks. Look what I found:

I have three disks. As two of them are not SATA and I have a CD and a DVD already connected to the only possible ATA connection on my motherboard, I have these two ATA disks connected through a PCI adapter named “Silicon Image SiI 0680 ATA-133 Medley Raid Controller”. It is from these two disks properties that the Policies tabs to set the write caching are not present. They are not present on the controller either, so that I’ll have to contact the manufacturer to know how to make the change. I’ll get back to tell about this as soon as I can.

Do you think the long awake can come from this problem?

Thanks again.

Update

I uploaded a new Hibernate+Resume_tracing.rar file. About the write caching settings, I didn’t need to contact the manufacturer because I found them, even if not how to change. I also uploaded images of the these write caching settings for you to check up. Thank you. Please advice.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, the new trace works.

suspending the system (services and applications) is fast. Also the resuming of the services and programs is fast. From what I see, it's a HDD issue. Writing and reading the data from the hibernation file takes to long.

Try to get driver, which allows you to enable caching!

best regards
André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you André. I am an ignorant, but I can see that what you say  fits on what I see when booting and my original description on the first post. The booting is extremely slow only while the Windows logo is shrinking and expanding. It must be then that it is reading the hibernation file.

Now, what I don't understand is your recommendation: "Try to get driver, which allows you to enable caching!"

Could you, please explain, so I could understand and follow your advise.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now, what I don't understand is your recommendation: "Try to get driver, which allows you to enable caching!"

Could you, please explain, so I could understand and follow your advise.

You told me, that you can't find an option to enable the Write caching in the device manager. So try t get new drivers from Silicon Image which allow you to enable write caching. This will fix your issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 5, 2021 Views 5,808 Applies to: