I cannot find a fix for this anywhere on the web. None of the solutions help.
So I have this client with this laptop and his start menu / orb doesn't work ! The orb is there but if you click it, nothing happens. When you hover over it with your mouse it highlights like normally. Also, when you open many programs, or folders, they do not show in the start bar. The only thing that is there that works is the little icons to the right along with the clock.
What I have tried :
- used another keyboard
- malware scan
- used all the various key combinations to bring up the start menu
- copied from other working PC registry settings for "StartMenu"
- checked gpedit for any disabled items concerning StartMenu
- created a new user profile
- updated java and flash
- removed temp files
- sfc /scannow
- chkdsk /f
- same issue in safe mode
- restore not possible
- defaulting the "customize start menu" options
- reset IE settings
- disabled kaspersky protection
- Clean boot
- Disabled display adapter
- explorer.exe close and re-open
I believe somewhere in the registry, there is an issue or maybe there are files that are directly connected to the start menu and the orb that are corrupted ? The user has not installed any "modding" tools. It feels like the orb functions are missing - the code what the orb does is gone. Or did Kaspersky find another way to cause grey hair on humble and innocent computer users