shadow copy provider error 0x80042306

I cannot create a restore point in win 7, sp 1 because the shadow copy provider had an error.  I have no restore points that should have automatically been set. 

Question Info

Last updated September 15, 2019 Views 6,763 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Try the troubleshooting steps in the below and check if they help in resolving the issue.

Method 1:

Step 1:

Check if the Volume Shadow Copy service is running on your computer or not.

To check for the same follow the steps below:

a)      Click ‘Start’, type ‘services.msc’ and hit Enter.

b)      Locate “Volume Shadow Copy” and check if the service is started.

c)       If not ‘Start’ the service.

If the service was already started, I’d suggest you to stop the service and restart the same. Repeat the above steps for ‘Windows Backup service”, too.

Shadow copy errors are often caused by disk problems (usually minor) which check disk will find and correct.

Method 2:

Try Clean Boot.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may go ahead and disable or uninstall the same.

Refer the following Microsoft KB article for more information on how to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Method 3:

Run a System File Checker (SFC) scan on your computer and see if that fixes the issue.

SFC tool scans system files and replaces incorrect versions of the system files by using the correct versions.

Check the below link for information on Performing SFC Scan.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.