Service Control Manager not found in Services.msc. Other services having this EV log entries.

I had shut down for the evening, only to see the Event Viewers logs.  I was troubleshooting what some of these errors seem to be about, except the last one.  It was/is about the Service Control Manager service/component. [See 'Updated Information at the bottom for this service]

Iwas previously editing the reistry, following instructions for manual removal of GEARAspiWDM.sys, to get ready to install thierx64 version of same .sys file.  I did absolutely nothing to delete anything that was not about this .sys file. (See:http://www.gearsoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=DRIVERS:_Windows_-_Updating,_removing,_64_bit_versions,_etc#Manual_Removal_.E2.80.93_32-bit [scroll down near the bottom of page fr x64 instruction]

I can revert back to before I edit the registry or restore my back up of the registry.  The back up sets me back to before I started "fixes" that worked, so I would have to do that work all over again.

Please, does anyone know what has happened to the Service Control Manager?  Is there a systems check of this component, I think there is one.  I think I may have used it before. (scm at command prompt?)

Here are the errors in EV.  All but the SCM is probably referring to the previous errors  was troubleshooting.

ACK! (I hope I selected the appropriate forum for this. If not, please direct me to the correct one.]

Thank you so much!

[start]

Log Name:     System

Source:       mfehidk

Date:         1/12/2011 7:26:33 AM

Event ID:     516

Task Category: (256)

Level:        Warning

Keywords:     Classic

User:         N/A

Computer:     

Description:

The description for Event ID 516 from sourcemfehidkcannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

McAfee Proxy Service

stopped

[NOTE: This service is currently running "STARTED" in SERVICES.MSC]

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Date:         1/12/2011 7:26:36 AM

Computer:    

Description:

The description for Event ID 516 from sourcemfehidkcannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Function Discovery Resource Publication

stopped

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Source:       Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client [NOTE: This service is currently running "STARTED" in SERVICES.MSC]

Date:         1/12/2011 7:24:38 AM

Event ID:     1014

Task Category: None

Keywords:     

User:         NETWORK SERVICE

Computer:     

Description:

The description for Event ID 1014 from source Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Client cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

False

False

Date:         1/12/2011 7:26:31 AM

Computer:     

Description:

Distributed Link Tracking Client

stopped

Source:       Service Control Manager

[NOTE: THIS SERVICE IS NOT FOUND IN SERVICES.MSC!!!]

Date:         1/12/2011 7:24:30 AM

Event ID:     7026

Task Category: None

Level:        Error

Computer:     

Description:

The description for Event ID 7026 from sourceService Control Manager cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

[end]

UPDATE: This last error was referring to the main EV log entry I was working on, before shut down.  I was working on "nvport.sys" which was listed for this Event ID 7026.  I still do not see Service Control Manage in Services.msc, but should I see it there?]

░░▒▒▓▓█│BarJabba│█▓▓▒▒░░ My System build: http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/1216387.png NOTE: XFX GeForce 9600 GSO 1 GB; 3 Way SLi Ready

Question Info

Last updated September 16, 2019 Views 12,205 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi BarJabba,

·        Do you remember making any changes to the computer after which the issue started?

I would suggest youto try the steps from the following article link to fix the errors found after running sfc /scannow and check if it helps:

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Hope this helps!

Thanks and Regards,
Imran M – Microsoft Support
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.