Restore Operating System failed Error code=0x45d

Original title: Restore Operating System failed

I have an Acer Aspire One netbook with Windows 7 Starter.  When I switch it on it goes immediately to Startup Repair, says that repairs were not successful and the computer cannot be repaired, restarts and then does the same thing again and again.  I was advised to reinstall Windows using the option to retain user data.  When I do this, the progress bar remains at 0% for some time and then this message comes up:

"Restore failed - error code=0x45d (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image : The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)  Restore unsuccessful.  Please try Restore Operating System to Factory Defaults."

Is there any way I can backup the files on my computer before I do this?

Question Info

Last updated July 18, 2019 Views 2,512 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you’re facing issues with restoring your Operating system and also you would like to back up your files. I will certainly help you with the issue.

I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Method 1:

Refer to the link mentioned below to back up your files:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-files#1TC=windows-7

Method 2:

Try to rebuild BCD using the Bootrec.exe tool.

To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps: 

1.     Put the Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.

2.     Press a key when you are prompted. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click next.

3.     Click Repair your computer.

4.     Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click next.

5.     In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

6.     Type Bootrec.exe, and then press ENTER.

Refer to the following link for more information:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Link provided below might help you to download and create installation media for Windows 7.

Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Hope this information helps.

Please provide us the required information to search more about this and understand the issue more clearly and we will be glad to offer our assistance.

Sincerely,

Ankit Rajput

Regards,
Ankit Rajput

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.