repeated NTFS Event ID 55 errors in my system event log that says "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unstable".

Original title: Help!  Need to run ChkDsk on a volume Shaddow Copy

Help!

I have repeated NTFS Event ID 55 errors in my system event log that says "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unstable.  Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume \Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5".  I tried running ChkDsk and using \device\harddiskvolumeshadowcopy5 as a parameter but it returns a statement saying that "The drive, the path, or the file name is not valid".  I ran the VSSAdmin utility and it says that I have two shadow copies:

C:\Windows\system32>vssadmin list shadows
vssadmin 1.1 - Volume Shadow Copy Service administrative command-line tool
(C) Copyright 2001-2005 Microsoft Corp.

Contents of shadow copy set ID: {ea234a5d-cc44-4676-8651-b17f8e07a10e}
   Contained 1 shadow copies at creation time: 10/24/2013 5:41:17 PM
      Shadow Copy ID: {5927a994-4d1f-4c3b-8a10-c65a08db8735}
         Original Volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{f07f38f1-c4f3-11de-b7ed-806e6f6e6963}\
         Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1
         Originating Machine: WCH-ULTRA-7
         Service Machine: WCH-ULTRA-7
         Provider: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
         Type: ClientAccessibleWriters
         Attributes: Persistent, Client-accessible, No auto release, Differential, Auto recovered

Contents of shadow copy set ID: {c7cb58e9-698a-4527-bb88-2e4234f0e67a}
   Contained 1 shadow copies at creation time: 11/1/2013 10:45:24 AM
      Shadow Copy ID: {05f7de10-0094-4954-ac6d-ba0a9e187592}
         Original Volume: (C:)\\?\Volume{f07f38f1-c4f3-11de-b7ed-806e6f6e6963}\
         Shadow Copy Volume: \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy5
         Originating Machine: WCH-ULTRA-7
         Service Machine: WCH-ULTRA-7
         Provider: 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy provider 1.0'
         Type: ClientAccessibleWriters
         Attributes: Persistent, Client-accessible, No auto release, Differential, Auto recovered

At this point, I don't know exactly the best course of action.  Should I delete both shadow copies with the VSSADMIN utility and let the system create a new shadow copy?  Is there a way to force the system to create a new VolumeShadowCopy?  Is there a way to run CHKDSK on this volume and eliminate the error?  I'm really at a loss to determine the correct course of action and then how to set that course of action into motion.  Can anyone tell me what I should do and how?

Thanks!

Question Info

Last updated March 29, 2019 Views 38,995 Applies to:

Hi,

Please refer to the following link regarding your issue with Volume Shadow Copy.

You can get back to us if you have any issue in performing the steps mentioned in the link.

[Note]:  While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Thank You

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The key to this problem was running ChkDsk with the /R option.  I had previously ran ChkDsk with the /F option but apparently the /F option only goes so far and didn't fix my error.  When I ran ChkDsk again with the /R option it did take a VERY long time to complete but when it was done the errors I was having were no longer appearing.

Just a sidebar question though......

Could this corruption on my hard drive have caused some system related errors?  During the time in which I noted this error I was having some systems related issues (i.e. system lockups and BSOD) and it was because of these system issues I was looking at my event log.  After running ChkDsk with the /R option, my system has returned to normal.  Not saying that there is a cause and effect relationship here but I'd like some feedback on what other think.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying with the status of the issue.

I am glad to know that the issue is resolved.

Regarding the sidebar question, due to Hard drive or system files corruption this type of issues may also occur. Chkdsk /r is used to repair the bad sectors found while the scan for hard drive errors.
Please feel free to visit our website for any help with Windows Operating System.

Sorry this didn't help.

Upgrade NTFS.sys to the latest version. Also run  the defragmentation analysis and run defrag if needed. I have fixed simialar issue in Windows Server 2003.

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.