Question

Q: problem with high cpu usage and audiodg.exe This thread is locked from future replies

While playing games I get a message saying that I have high CPU usage 99% of one core. This is being caused by "audiodg.exe". I tried a couple of fixes that I found on line. I was told they would not work with my computer. I have a Dell XPS15 second gen i5. Has anyone run into this problem?

Answer

A:

Hi,

1. What steps have you performed to resolve the issue?

audiodg.exe [Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation] file hosts the audio engine for Vista and Window s 7.

All the DSP [Digital Signal Processing] and audio processing is performed within this file. Vendors are able to install their own DSP and audio effects into the audio pipeline, which will then be processed by audiodg.exe

In order to fix the high CPU usage, disable the audio enhancements processed by the audiodg.exe file. To disable the audio enhancements, use the following steps:
a. Right-click the speaker icon in the lower right corner.

b. Select Playback Devices from the menu. A list of devices should appear on the screen.

c. Double-click the device that has a green checkmark. The properties windows for that device should open.

d. Click the Enhancements tab at the top.

e. From the list of enhancements, uncheck all of them, or click the Disable all enhancements checkbox.

f. Click the OK button to save your changes and close the window.

g. Click OK to close the Playback Devices window.

I'd also suggest you use Resource Monitor to monitor CPU usage.

Resource Monitor is a tool that you can use to monitor the usage of CPU, hard disk, network, and memory in real time.

You can use the Performance tab in Task Manager to see how your computer's CPU is being used by Windows and other programs running on your computer.

Refer:

View CPU utilization and other performance information

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/View-CPU-utilization-and-other-performance-information

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

50 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 52,681 Last updated: April 20, 2018 Applies to: