Print spooler keeps stopping

I've been using my computer for months and have never had a problem.  Today I can't print. It seems that the print spooler keeps stopping.  I have restarted it, to no avail -- still will not print.  I restarted the computer and the printer, checked the cables... can't print.  HELP!  Also, I have tried the FIXIT tool, and still no help.
|
Answer
Answer

This suggestion may help.

Quote from: http://snipurl.com/1mdayq  [www_eventid_net]

From a newsgroup post: "It appears that the Print Spooler has failed, and was unable to (or not configured to) restart itself. When the Print Spooler is not running, printers will not be visible in the Printers folder, and you will be unable to add any new printers. Any number of things could cause the Print Spooler to fail. These include corrupt print jobs, incompatible or problematic printer drivers or port monitors, file or disk corruption, and even other applications or processes interfering with the spooler in memory. If you attempt the restart the Print Spooler manually and it immediately fails, it may be trying to process a corrupt print job after starting. This is one common cause for Print Spooler failures that occur immediately. If the Print Spooler starts and printing functionality returns for some time before failing again, then a driver or port monitor is likely the cause of the problem.

To remove spooled print jobs that could be causing this problem, simply remove (or delete) files with extensions of ".spl" or ".shd" from the Spool location while the Print Spooler is stopped. This location is generally "c:\<windows directory>\system32\spool\printers" (it could have been manually changed). Once any existing spool files have been removed, try restarting the Print Spooler again to see if it runs normally. If there are no spooled print jobs (.spl or .shd files), or if removing existing spooled print jobs does not change the behavior, then a driver or port monitor may be to blame. M260142 provides more in-depth information that will be helpful while troubleshooting further".

Hope this helps, Gerry Cornell
Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 10, 2019 Views 10,273 Applies to: