Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled

I am getting poor battery life on a new Sony Vaio with Windows 7 pre-installed, even when using the most energy saving profile available. powercfg -energy reveals the error message above.

I would like to understand the source of the error. I think it is the main reason behind my poor battery life.

These Sony Vaio computers have very simple BIOS and there is nothing to adjust for ASPM.

Is there anything I can do in the registry to try allowing active state power management to function?  Any other diagnostics that I can run to determine which hardware is responsible for having ASPM disabled in this machine?

Thanks for any tips.

Answer
Answer

In the PCI Express power management options there are 2 levels you can choose from.

The difference between them are power savings versus the time it takes to recover from the sleep state (Latency).

If you select  Moderate Power Savings, the power savings are less, but the time to recover from the Sleep state (latency) is much shorter. So, it won't save as much power, but it will be quicker when you try to restart your work.

If you select the Maximum Power Savings, the power savings are greater, but the time to recover from the Sleep state (latency) is much longer, so it will use less power but will take longer when you try to restart your work.

I found this information in one of the other forums, I hope it helps someone out.

Blessings, Lisa

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2020 Views 60,768 Applies to: