Hello everyone. I registered just to ask this question, which I could not find after quite a long while consulting Google. I come to you all in hopes that where Google failed, you will not!
I use a program that some of you may be familiar with, called Samurize (http://www.samurize.com/modules/news/), which does a lot of things; what I use it for the most is the ability to, at
a glance, discern my CPU usage, RAM usage, network information, uptime, harddrive space, and my calendar schedule, among other things. I know it's an old program and I know that it was designed for Windows 2000/XP, but it has worked without a hitch (excluding
this one) on both Vista and Windows 7.
Recently, though, the ability to monitor CPU, RAM, upload and download speeds, and uptime has gone; all of them give me a flatline, reporting that I'm not using the internet at all, or my computer for that matter (except Uptime, which reports that I've been
on my computer for 49 days, 17 hours, 2 minutes, and 47 seconds...it refuses to go up!). Originally, I thought it was a problem with the program. It isn't; it has something to do with Perfmon. When I load up perfmon.exe through the Run box, it loads up
with an error, that says:
"Unable to add these counters:
\Memory\% Committed Bytes In Use
\PhysicalDisk(*)\Avg. Disk Queue Length
\Network Interface(*)\Bytes Total/sec"
That's not me accidentally saying the same thing twice...it says what I've typed out verbatim. [Edit:] Just remembered: other system monitors are perfectly fine. The task manager of course runs fine, but gadgets seem to work fine at reporting my RAM and CPU
usage, along with my download and upload speeds. [/edit]
This is pretty much the sum of my progress into the problem. I've found this page (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/300956), which seems like it would fix the problem...but,
being a lazy boned man, I'm hoping that there's an easier solution than that, one that isn't 'reformat.'
Other pertinent information:
Windows 7 x64 Professional
Updated with all official updates
Recently switched from wireless internet to wired (aside from this, I can't thing of any changes I've made with my computer)
I had the same problem. From a level your pointers to the perfmon Counters are corrupted, you have to rebuild these with LODCTR from a elevated command prompt:
Click Start, type cmd right click cmd.exe, and select
Run as administrator.
At the prompt, type lodctr /r and press ENTER. This will repair the pointers (those are stored in the registry).
Info: Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store
After this action it is possible that some providers are disabled. You can check the status with
Performance Counter ID Queries [PERFLIB]:
Base Index: 0x00000737 (1847)
Last Counter Text ID: 0x00001560 (5472)
Last Help Text ID: 0x00001561 (5473)
[.NET CLR Data] Performance Counters (Enabled)
DLL Name: netfxperf.dll
Open Procedure: OpenPerformanceData
Collect Procedure: CollectPerformanceData
Close Procedure: ClosePerformanceData
First Counter ID: 0x00001080 (4224)
Last Counter ID: 0x0000108C (4236)
First Help ID: 0x00001081 (4225)
Last Help ID: 0x0000108D (4237)
If it says (Disabled) next to a provider, you can enable it with lodctr /e:<provider name>. Use for
<provider name> the string between the [ ] at the beginning of the entry.