need to know more about virtual memory on 64-bit windows 7

1. what's the maximum amount of Virtual Memory you can have with windows 7 or 8?

2. is this maximum amount affected by the processor's ability to address RAM? for instance, if I pick one of these new processors that can only address a maximum of 32GB of RAM, am I also limited to 32GB of Virtual Memory?  I was wondering this, because I noticed for some odd reason that windows can only address 192GB of RAM.  I had thought this might also be true for VM as well, but I don't know for sure.  I get this information from the link below.  it matches the upper RAM linits of the intel xeon proc.  the older opteron procs could address 256GB of RAM I think (why did microsoft choose such a low 192GB instead of 2^64 bytes??), so if I were going AMD I would probably want linux instead to address all that RAM.

3. I typically run windows for 2 weeks or more at a time.  windows xp pro (or the antivirus, not sure which) becomes unstable after this amount of time and requires a reboot.  how long can I run windows 7 safely?  my virus scans are what take so long (2TB of data, 4TB of disks).  I know this is off-topic, but it would really help, this is critical to my installation.  I am trying to find an antivirus package that doesn't break during a scan this big.  I develop software.  if my machine isn't clean...  you get the idea.

I need real answers.  I don't want guesses.  I am going to be working with adobe photoshop on doing some memory-intensive operations here.  every little bit of memory I can muster helps.  actually, I need massive amounts of memory, because I typically run LOTS of applications at once, and a lot of them are going to be adobe authoring apps which are slow as molasses on my 2.8GHz P4 HT.

I am using this information to help me with the purchase of a future new machine and look at how I can do what I need to do, done.

if there's an MVP who knows the internals of windows or something, I would appreciate some knowledge on this.

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

Home Premium (they put this even on high end pre-built machines) makes me want to cry.  16GB max RAM....  must be aiming for the laptop market.  I want a replacement desktop or if I had my druthers, an air-cooled workstation.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 1,618 Applies to:
Answer
Hi,

Windows support 16 page files. The maximum size is 4095MB on a 32Bit Windows for each page file, running the normal kernel. 32Bit Windows with the PAE KErnel and the x64 Version support 16TB for each pagefile.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff382717.aspx

Your question 3 is a matter of trial and error. You could probably install and run a scan using Microsoft Security Essentials as it is very stable and does not break the scan.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.