My Windows 7 computer will not go into sleep mode anymore

original title: no sleep

My Windows 7 computer will not go into sleep mode anymore.  My computer used to go into sleep mode just fine.  I am up-to-date on all my software updates.  I have not had any difficulty with any other Windows 7 functionality.  I have my system set so that I must push the physical start/restart button on tower to wake up. 

I am able to put the computer into sleep mode manually (from Start).

My system is custom made. 

I have checked my recent installs and have removed them from startup (they don't startup with Windows anymore).

It seems that I set it up to allow "running programs" to keep it from entering sleep mode... but I cannot find this setting to try changing it, so that programs can no longer keep my computer from going into sleep mode.

How can I get my computer to go into sleep mode automatically with the timer or at least change it so that running programs will not keep it from going into sleep mode (so that I can see if this is the problem)?

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My Windows 7 computer will not go into sleep mode anymore.  My computer used to go into sleep mode just fine.  I am up-to-date on all my software updates.  I have not had any difficulty with any other Windows 7 functionality.  I have my system set so that I must push the physical start/restart button on tower to wake up. 

I have checked my recent installs and have removed them from startup (they don't startup with Windows anymore).

It seems that I set it up to allow "running programs" to keep it from entering sleep mode... but I cannot find this setting to try changing it, so that programs can no longer keep my computer from going into sleep mode.

How can I get my computer to go into sleep mode automatically with the timer or at least change it so that running programs will not keep it from going into sleep mode (so that I can see if this is the problem)?

Hi Monsters01 – Welcome to Microsoft Answers Community.

The following might help:
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/windows-7/features/sleep-and-resume.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266283
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Turn-off-a-computer-frequently-asked-questions
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/0789cb87-8b79-4371-8c5d-f0b5b7be50ce
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/a90cd10c-f14f-413a-a492-dfb7ee61fff0
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproperf/thread/641535f9-5f86-4aec-9339-c90dee6ade47

I hope you find this information useful. If you need any further assistance,
please feel free to contact me and let me know.

I hope this information was helpful…

Have a nice day…

Best regards,
Fisnik

Itknowledge24.com - Follow me on Twitter:http://twitter.com/itknowledge24
- UAC Trust Shortcut 2.0 is on its way.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I checked all the links you provided above and none of them apply to my problem... I have even used the power troubleshooter when this problem first arose and it did fix something.  Since then it still will not go to sleep automatically... I have also tried the power troubleshooter again and now it finds no errors to fix.

No luck... still can't get Windows 7 system PC to go into sleep mode automatically according to the sleep settings in the power management section.

How about the allow/don't allow running programs to keep Windows from entering sleep mode?  Where is this setting?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I checked all the links you provided above and none of them apply to my problem... I have even used the power troubleshooter when this problem first arose and it did fix something.  Since then it still will not go to sleep automatically... I have also tried the power troubleshooter again and now it finds no errors to fix.

No luck... still can't get Windows 7 system PC to go into sleep mode automatically according to the sleep settings in the power management section.

How about the allow/don't allow running programs to keep Windows from entering sleep mode?  Where is this setting?

Try this tool, you can set the time when Windows shall go into Sleep:
http://www.windows7download.com/win7-no-sleep/qzwrddkd.html 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It might be helpful to use msconfig to turn off startup items  for testing. If it does then sleep you start re-enabling start up items to try to identify which process is causing the problem.
--

"monsters01" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

My Windows 7 computer will not go into sleep mode anymore.  My computer used to go into sleep mode just fine.  I am up-to-date on all my software updates.  I have not had any difficulty with any other Windows 7 functionality.  I have my system set so that I must push the physical start/restart button on tower to wake up.

It seems that I set it up to allow "running programs" to keep it from entering sleep mode... but I cannot find this setting to try changing it, so that programs can no longer keep my computer from going into sleep mode.

Technician / Consultant

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

tried this and had trouble getting Windows 7 to finish restart... just shut off more recently installed items... did not work... still won't enter sleep mode... though it does seem like a "running program" is what must be stopping the entry into sleep mode... I have also uninstalled a program that was installed shortly before sleep stopped working automatically... I have run the power management trouble shooter... and Registry Booster (several times).  The troubleshooter did find something the first time I ran it, told me that it fixed it and running it again has not revealed anymore problems.

Any other ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

this program did not help... tried this program with various different settings in "power options" in Windows 7... still did not work...

any other ideas?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I too am in this boat.  However, I may have a clue as to why mine no longer sleeps.  Now, this is going to sound odd, but these are the only changes I made.  I recently bought new office furniture for my home.  A couple of my devices, fingerprint reader, wireless mouse receiver, were plugged in, via USB, to the back of the computer.  These two devices are now plugged into the USB Ports on the monitor.  I absolutely have no idea if this is the cause of my now, sleepless PC, but these are the only real changes I made when I pligged everything back in.  I am thinking of moving these devices back to the USB connections on the back of the PC to see if this helps.  If it does, then I'd have to ask, "How come?"

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Apple Itues and Apple Update Softaware causes the problem in my case.

My Windows 7 stops going to sllep mode when I install Appe Itunes.. If unistall it goes to sleep without any problem

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

VERY Helpful post!  Went into sleep mode fine when I deactivated the Apple apps in MSCONFIG startup.  No need to to a full uninstall, just defeat the TSR aspects of the Apple apps.  Thank you very much!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had to reenable hybrid sleep when I bought a new motherboard by switching bios setting from S1 to S3 .

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 23, 2021 Views 35,233 Applies to: