My computer becomes unresponsive after being idle or in use.

By unresponsive I mean that i can move my mouse but no programs will open when i click them... I can not control alt delete, open any start menu items, or open anything at all. Whats weird is that if i have a tab open when it does this, the tab will work perfectly fine until i close it. This problem mostly occurs when i leave my comp. untouched for more than 20 min, or when i am using google chrome. Please help! any questions comment below so i can help resolve this.

Question Info

Last updated August 8, 2018 Views 5,657 Applies to:
By unresponsive I mean that i can move my mouse but no programs will open when i click them... I can not control alt delete, open any start menu items, or open anything at all. Whats weird is that if i have a tab open when it does this, the tab will work perfectly fine until i close it. This problem mostly occurs when i leave my comp. untouched for more than 20 min, or when i am using google chrome. Please help! any questions comment below so i can help resolve this.

Hi

First make sure that your system is clean:

perform scan using

http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (recommanded)

If you have anti virus program update it and perfrom full scan or if you don't have get this one:
AVG Free http://www.avg.com/gb-en/download-free-anti-virus

Perform scan using:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/ Recommanded

You can run it from memory stick too.

"It is recommanded to perform all scans in safe mode."

Make sure ur system is clean first. use ccleaner to get rid of junkfiles http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Make sure ur windows is uptodate and drivers are working properly and they are uptodate too.

Try clean boot to find out which program is causing your pc running slowly or unresponsive

Instruction here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Basically you have to disable all startup items and NONE-Windows services through msconfig then restart your pc then put it back to sleep or idle mode and see if the problem is solved?

Try to run less program in your startup, minimise your startup program. You can do it either using msconfig or ccleaner tool.

Tip: leaving your browser open while you are online and away from pc, causes high memory usage therefore it is better to close it if it is not necessary to leave it open. 

Check you disc for errors. Perform disc clean up and defragment using windows tools.

Check your windows files

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Unistall programs that you do not use!

Please visit my blog for more tips and tricks
http://safeworldwidewebsurfing.blogspot.co.uk/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

First of all, sorry for necro posting this, but i have the same issue, nad ther ewere not many replies for the OP so i decided to post here.

I am using win 7, have COMODO firewall installed and free AVG antivirus.

My boot drive is OCZ agility 3 SSD 60GB .

SO just as the user above said after letting the pc idle for soem time 30+ min most of the times it starts having problems and becomes unresponsive. 

I am able to alt tab between applications oppened, and they seem to work fine, but when i lets say close google chrome and try to reopen it nothing will happen. If i try to open stuff allot it will eventualy freeze.

NOTE: Once i got a strange error after letting the pc be idle for a few hours, the desktop was empty, only the background image was shown and two windows from windows explorer and from one application that was running (not sure wich one it was, probably "steam").

The error: 

call to OS function failed.

Maybe this helps someone, i tried searching for my windows dmp file but none was created, it seems windows for some unknows reason do not create it , i thought maybe%root%\.... .dmp is bothering it so i changed the dmp save location manualy to a location on the boot drive. (page file is enabled on that drive).

I also did sfc /scannow  and no errors we're found, and i also did a check disk for errors all seems fine. 
NOTE: once after a freeze before my windows started up on the post screen i was prompted for a chk dsk ,i canceled it by mistake so i did it manualy from windows later on.

I hope someone cna help me with this issue i just hope its not a hardware problem evne though i still have the waranty for the ssd , here is croatia i would have to wait 1 month or 2 before i got a compensation if i would get one.  Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

First of all, sorry for necro posting this, but i have the same issue, nad ther ewere not many replies for the OP so i decided to post here.

I am using win 7, have COMODO firewall installed and free AVG antivirus.

My boot drive is OCZ agility 3 SSD 60GB .

SO just as the user above said after letting the pc idle for soem time 30+ min most of the times it starts having problems and becomes unresponsive. 

I am able to alt tab between applications oppened, and they seem to work fine, but when i lets say close google chrome and try to reopen it nothing will happen. If i try to open stuff allot it will eventualy freeze.

NOTE: Once i got a strange error after letting the pc be idle for a few hours, the desktop was empty, only the background image was shown and two windows from windows explorer and from one application that was running (not sure wich one it was, probably "steam").

The error: 

call to OS function failed.

Maybe this helps someone, i tried searching for my windows dmp file but none was created, it seems windows for some unknows reason do not create it , i thought maybe%root%\.... .dmp is bothering it so i changed the dmp save location manualy to a location on the boot drive. (page file is enabled on that drive).

I also did sfc /scannow  and no errors we're found, and i also did a check disk for errors all seems fine. 
NOTE: once after a freeze before my windows started up on the post screen i was prompted for a chk dsk ,i canceled it by mistake so i did it manualy from windows later on.

I hope someone cna help me with this issue i just hope its not a hardware problem evne though i still have the waranty for the ssd , here is croatia i would have to wait 1 month or 2 before i got a compensation if i would get one.  Thanks
Comodo Firewall is a very good firewall to use, however make sure firstly not to enable both behavior blocker and The HIPS feature. I think the Behavior blocker is better if you do not install loads of unknown programs. Enabling both features can cause slow down. Just try and see how it goes having both disabled permanently and then if it is good then enable back just one of them ..... I would say the Behavior Blocker.
Another thing about comodo is the sand boxing feature sometimes when you open browser e.g. firefox sandboxed using comodo.... it may not open .... but if you go to task manger, you will see the process for your browser is still running! so if you try to open more then just it will be more process and more memory usage. So you have to make sure that your browsers are not sandboxed.
In term of anti-virus, because i personally use comodo too... I think Avast is much better choice ... also it has snadboxing feature too. I have actually changed my anti virus from AVG to Avast.
You also can visit my blog in the post before for more information about security stuff and how to speed up your PC.
Also if you have used your PC for long time, it is recommended to check your disc for error. When you check, do not check the first checkbox as your system files are ok and you do not have to restart!

Sorry this didn't help.