Mouse freezes, beeps twice

I couldn't respond to a similar post so I will give my solution here. 

My mouse would freeze and then there would be two beeps.  The beeps sounded like something being plugged or unplugged into the usb slot.  It would happen randomly and frequently. 

I must have tried at least 10 suggestions I found on other websites and not only did they not work, but I couldn't find anyone who actually had a cure for it other than a reinstall.  It wasn't a hardware problem like voltage or else there would be some kind of pattern to it. That would be the same for a software cause.

If another program was running, it would most likely be running in the background and not actually doing something that would create the random beeps. 

I went into my task manager to close a program that wasn't responding and noticed I was running two instances of explorer.exe.  I decided to close the one with the least amount of memory being used and bam, it stop instantly. It made sense to me right after why that was causing it.  The explorer.exe changes memory usage constantly unless you are not trying to open and close programs etc. 

It also made sense that the more programs I had running, the worse the pauses would become since each explorer program was battling each other for memory and for control of the MOUSE. 

Try it.  I went and opened up the explorer.exe so there were two running again and the problem came back.

|
Answer
Answer

Hi super_saiyan,

You may run System File Checker [SFC] scan on the computer which will replace the missing or corrupt files & check if the issue persists.

a. Type ‘cmd’ in Start Search box. Right click on cmd in the Program list and then select the option Run as administrator.

Note: If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

b. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

For more information, refer this link.

How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7

Hope the information helps. Please post back and let us know.

Regards
Debleena S
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 24, 2021 Views 37,780 Applies to: