Mouse cursor randomly turns into a big plus sign and does not act like a mouse cursor at all

original title: Cursor behavior
Sometimes, and way to often, my cursor turns into a huge plus sign and does not act like a cursor at all; will not let me select, click, or anything.  Acts as an "edit page" tool.  I cannot figure out why or how it turns into that. 

Question Info

Last updated November 16, 2019 Views 34,094 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

You may try changing the mouse settings and check if that helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-mouse-settings

Hope the information was helpful

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

I already replied with e@mail @live.com I didn't give the answer that I figured out myself on that reply, so I guess I will do it here.

It appears that that whole clicking by hovering or accidently clicking somewhere on the perimiters of the screen, causes the cursor to jump to that mode.  I am more careful about the clicking when I didn't intend to and hovering thing. Works so far, as I had already tried the remedy suggested more than once.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer
In the Mouse settings, make sure that ClickLock is not turned on.  This feature, if turned on, will cause your mouse cursor to become locked in that mode.
Shawn "Cmdr" Keene | Microsoft MVP - Windows Insider | CmdrKeene.com | tweet me: @LtCmdrKeene
Microsoft MVPs are independent experts offering real-world answers. Learn more at mvp.microsoft.com.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.