Q: Microsoft Visual C++ runtime Library error in Windows 7 This thread is locked from future replies

Every time I try to open Computer or my User folder I get a Microsoft Visual C++ library error. When I click on the details this is what  I get.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Explorer.EXE
  Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
  Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
  Fault Module Name: msvcrt.dll
  Fault Module Version: 7.0.7601.17744
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4eeb033f
  Exception Code: 40000015
  Exception Offset: 000000000002a84e
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: c424
  Additional Information 2: c424016534d783fe6b1afa2f8f6daf6b
  Additional Information 3: 2202
  Additional Information 4: 2202a96b47a53d1a87f0c61eaeb73b96

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

I have tried all the stuff that others have posted to help and I still get it. I even did a restore point a week back and it did nothing for it. If there's a download to fix the problem I can't find it.

Hi Ron,

To help you suggest more steps to resolve the issue, I would appreciate it if you could answer the following question:

Have you made any recent hardware or software changes to your computer prior to the issue?

Please follow the methods and check the issue:

Method 1: If the issue is caused due to missing Visual C++ libraries, you may download and install the Runtime components of Visual C++ libraries from the link below:

You can uninstall any existing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package and install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package to check if it helps.

Step 1: To uninstall the package:

a.       Open Programs and Features.

b.      From the list, find Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package and click on it.

c.       Click Uninstall at the top of the list.

Step 2: Download and install the latest package to see if it helps.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x64)

Note: Install anyone as per the Operating System installed on your computer.

Method 2: I would suggest you to perform clean boot and check if the issue still persists.

Place the computer in a clean boot state and then check if it helps. You can start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

Note: Follow the section “More information” to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot.

Hope this helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

16 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 44,121 Last updated: March 22, 2018 Applies to: