Keyboard keys not working. Issues with Windows updates

Original title: Strange and Erratic Shift Keys

Hello Everyone!

I have a very, very weird problem with the shift keys on my keyboard. These happened suddenly. On Sunday morning I woke up, turned on my computer and discovered the problem.

The shift keys have stopped working for certain keys. Eg t, e, f, underscore -. In order to type this post I used Microsoft Word so you can see that t automatically gets capitalized at the start of a sentence – but I can’t make it capitalize in the middle unless I use caps lock.

This also means I can’t type underscore anymore. I can only type the – because caps lock won’t give me underscore.

What I have managed to figure out after many hours of hard work troubleshooting aka wasted time not doing productive work:

1)     This is not a mechanical problem. Shift key works fine with some letters. Eg here are A B C D   G I J  L M N  P  R S   V W X Y Z. You can clearly see that some letters cannot be recognized. When I type shift-e, there is no response. The space between D and G was created because I automatically typed space after the shift-e which produced no response.

2)     Both shift keys are affected.

3)     Control keys are not affected.

4)     Alt key are not affected. Eg here is Θ theta, which I have mapped to alt-t-h on ms word. the mapping was done long ago and hasn’t created problems. Also note that not everytime ms word will capitalize a letter automatically. Eg two sentences ago, ‘the mapping’ didn’t get capital t automatically, but for this sentence, ‘eg two sentences’ got capitalized automatically. I have no idea why.

5)     Software doesn’t matter. Eg Microsoft word, google chrome, internet explorer, windows explorer (eg when trying to rename files to have a capital t) – all have this problem.

6)     Windows keyboard software also shows that it can recognize when I press on the shift keys.

7)     I have firewalls and a Norton Antivirus subscription that is always updated. I don’t randomly download weird software on my computer because I need it for work, so let’s assume it’s not a virus for now.

8)     Keyboard driver is updated (it’s a standard keyboard).

9)     Language set to S-nglish. Us English. As you can see, shift u and e can’t be recognized so I can’t type them in. the capitalized u was done automatically by Microsoft word.

10) Sticky keys are not on.

11) I haven’t activated any disabled access option or used any weird keyboard mapping software.

12) This computer is not used for games and has no game on it. There should be no weird gaming hotkeys being mapped.

13) I have never created any weird keyboard macros and haven’t recently downloaded any weird Word document with macros.

14) Changing keyboards doesn’t make a difference. I have 3 keyboards, all of which normally use the standard keyboard driver.

15) I’ve used this setup for nearly 2 years now. Ie not a recent change in some hardware. This is an i5 desktop computer. It is not wired up to any network, and plugged in straight to my cable modem. Ie there should be no other computer interfering with it.

16) There have been recent changes in software, including microsoft’s updates. Two updates took place between Saturday night and Sunday morning when I turned my computer back on. I have rolled back the update to a period before that – Saturday morning – but I still don’t get the functionality back.

17) My computer was fine Saturday night before I turned in for the night. So any update before that should not have changed my shift keys.

18) THIS MAY BE THE MOST CRUCIAL: my computer has been installing 2 windows updates every time now for the past 5 restarts. These are unusual updates because they take over 40 minutes. I think these are the same updates that never got properly installed for some reason or other.

19) I am not running out of hdd space. Any update should not have a space problem preventing installation.

20) Other problems. I seem to have long term general flash and javascript problems on my computer and can’t figure them out. They don’t stop me surfing the net, just prevent some functionality in stock charting softwares from different brokers. Yes, I have gone through the usual rigmarole of deinstalling everything, clearing cache, etc. religiously following tech support’s instructions and I don’t get all the functionality I am supposed to get. I am mentioning this long-term problem because it sometimes worsens after a java or adobe update and these happen automatically. Java and adobe are about the only softwares that I have given permission to auto-update on my computer and they update frequently including recently. I also have nvidia which is allowed to auto-update, but nvidia rarely needs to update the graphics card so I think that isn’t an issue.

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2020 Views 31,413 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Dharm,

I definitely understand how inconvenient it would be when things are not working as it should be. I’ll surely help you with the issue. Thank you very much for the detailed description on the issue.

Follow the methods to resolve the hardware issue in the computer:

Method 1: Run the fixit to fix hardware issues:

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/hardware_device_problems/

Method 2: We need to find out whether any application/program is conflicting with the issue.

Step 1: Boot the computer in Safe mode and check if the issue persists. Follow these steps to start the computer in safe mode.

a) Press the ‘Windows + C’ key on the keyboard.
b) Click on settings, more pc settings and then general.
c) Scroll down to advanced startup, click restart now.
d) Click on troubleshoot, advanced options, Windows Startup Settings.
e) Click restart, select safe mode and then press enter.

Step 2: Place the computer in clean boot and try to install to find out the cause of the issue:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: When the troubleshooting is over do not forget to reset the computer to normal startup.

To fix the updates issue:

Method 1: Refer the article and try to run Microsoft Fix it:

Fix the problem with Microsoft Windows Update that is not working

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/en-us

Method 2: I would suggest you to refer the link and check if it helps:

How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are repeatedly offered an update

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

Do let us know if you have any other queries pertaining to Windows in the future. We will be happy to help. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence and provide our customers with the best support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This has just happened to me but in my instance the <shift> <c> combination doesn't work. No information what-so-ever on what is wrong with my MS Sculpt Keyboard. I have tried

cleaning the keyboard (vacuuming it),

using a compressed air canister to blow out what is underneath,

started in safe mode,

used MS fixit on their site for hardware,

reinstalled software for keyboard

reinstalled keyboard drivers

I have binged and googled everything I could to find an answer but I do not see one on any site. Nothing works, I will have to assume that it is now a faulty keyboard from MS and send it back for a replacement.

Annoying is what it really is, because it is an expensive keyboard and I would not have expected this from MS.

Interestingly enough I can <caps lock> the <c> to get a capital C.

I reiterate, how annoying.

Sorry this didn't help.

The same started happening to me five minutes ago. All of a sudden, after having been typing several hours.

Shift+C produces "c", to get a capital "C" I have to use caps lock.

I have a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Keyboard for Business. I have tried to "reboot" it, i.e. taking out the batteries for a while.

"How annoying", indeed!

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I found in microsoft forum the following answer and it helps me to solve the problem:

"Sir, I had a similar problem of shift keys not working with certain keys. I read up somewhere regarding this and realized what was the fault. Mine is a multimedia keyboard and one of multimedia keys were stuck, pressed down. When I unstuck the key, the shift keys are back to normal function! "

Actually I press all the key, shortcut key, multimedia key (included the button calling the calculator just above the numerical keyboard) and the problem disappear!

56 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah did exactly this. I unplugged the keyboard, ran my hands all over to make sure no keys were stuck, though I think the culprit is a stuck multimedia key at the top usually, and I can type capital Zs and Cs again. Thank you! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here...mine is the darn capital m...won't do it. 

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having a similar issue with my MS Sculpt Keyboard only when I use the SHIFT + M

Sorry this didn't help.

I found that my Function Key F9 was stuck.

This is probably a feedback to MS

Have you noticed that Function Keys are Rectangular, so in case you hit them at Either end there is a chance they get stuck and cause issues

Thank God Saved a trip back to store.....

Cheers

Vinay

Sorry this didn't help.

Just happened to mine as well g and h wont work. Also the quotation marks and ctrl is not working. Before that, I would type t and qt would pop up instead. D would pop up wit f and etc. After I restarted my tablet and cleaned were it connects with the tablet, I started to have this problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

help I can't use the letter between f and h or the keyboard pops up with a messa_e about _ames NOTE: I am usin_ and underscore to represent the unusable key. HELP

Martha Piercefield

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

Sorry this didn't help.