Is it possible to create a system repair disc that doesn't require an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 'UDF' file system specification?

I have Windows 7 successfully installed on an older computer, where it runs quite nicely, but I wasn't able to install Windows 7 by booting from the DVD.  I first had to install Windows XP SP2 and run setup within XP.  Attempting to boot from the DVD produced the following error message: "CDBOOT: Cannot boot from CD - Code: 5."  I tried every method I could find to overcome this problem and nothing worked; I could not create a bootable DVD.  If I got past the code 5 error, either the process stalled or I got the error "NTDLR is missing—even using the boot files from a Windows 2000 installation disc."  Finally, I discovered  the apparent root of the problem when I got this error message, "This disc contains a 'UDF' file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 'UDF' file system specification," by booting from a floppy using Gujin Linux.

Unfortunately, when I tried to create a system repair disc, the same errors occurred.  Does anyone know how to create a Windows 7 system repair disc that does not require ISO-13446 UDF support but rather will work under an older standard?  (This computer will boot from a Windows 2000 or Windows XP SP2 installation CD with no problem.  I can't, by the way, run system repair from a USB flash drive because the motherboard supports only USB floppy emulation and not hard-drive or optical disc emulation.)

Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2018 Views 1,894 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I have discovered a solution—a work-around—to this problem.  Those who are running (or trying to install) Windows 7 on older computers that have sufficient power to run the OS but whose BIOS cannot read ISO-13446 UDF files may be able to boot from a Windows 7 system repair 'disc' (or the installation disc) if their computers will boot from a flash drive.  My particular machine is so 'antique' that it can only boot from a flash drive in floppy disc-emulation mode.  (Computers of recent vintage can emulate hard drives and other devices).  The key with BIOSes using FDD emulation is that the flash drive must be formatted in old-fashioned FAT (sometimes called FAT16), not even FAT32, let alone NTFS or anything else.

When I formatted the flash drive in the FAT specification, made it it bootable, and copied the repair disc files to the drive, when I set the computer to boot from a USB-FDD (which was my only option), the computer booted and the repair program ran (though pretty slowly—but slowly is far better than not at all).  I have not attempted this with an installation disc only because I don't happen to have a flash drive large enough to hold the installation files (and don't need to do an installation), but since the file system of both the repair and installation discs is the same, I don't see why this wouldn't work for installation as well; it just isn't likely to be fast.

If you don't know how to make a flash drive bootable, there are many web pages with instructions for doing so.  The one I used can be found at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create-4.html#post507914.  Just remember that the drive must be formatted in the correct system for the type of boot emulation your computer's BIOS requires.  I formatted my flash drive in FAT16 using Windows Explorer before I made it bootable and skipped the formatting step specified in the cited instructions.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.