IP Helper service "iphlpsvcs.exe" use huge memory

Actual Title: iphlpsvcs.exe - IP Helper service eats up a **** lot of memory. I stopped the service still the exe is running. How do I stop

it completely? I found that iphlpsvcs.exe eats up a lot of CPU and memory. It starts from 112K and reached to a whopping maximum of 1.6 GB. This is a huge setback. Currently I use Resource monitor to suspend it as I restart my Windows 7. But I cannot do this all the time. I stopped the IP Helper service but this doesn't seem to help. 
I am using AVG IS 2012 and have reinstalled my Windows 7 very recently. What could be the problem with this?

Question Info

Last updated March 19, 2020 Views 58,297 Applies to:

Hi,

- Have you made any changes on the computer prior to this issue?

Method 1: I would suggest you to keep the computer in clean boot mode and check if the issue persists.
A clean boot helps to verify if any third party application services or startup item is causing this issue.
You may refer the following KB article to set the computer in clean boot:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Note:
After the trouble shooting steps, refer to Step 7 from the clean boot link to set the computer back to normal start up mode.

Method 2: I would also suggest you to follow the steps from the link and check if it helps.

How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Method 3: Also make sure that IPv6 is enabled on your Windows 7 machine.

1. Click on Start and type ncpa.cpl and hit enter, this will open your local area connection.
2. Right click on it and choose Properties and under properties enable IPv6 if it is not.

Please see the link below for common troubleshooting steps to fix Network Adapter problems,

Hope this information helps.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello AJwindows,

This is quoted from a thread in TechNet by Tod Edwards:

TCP/IP Netbios Helper service helps make things work when you don't use Netbios on your network and you use SMB (file sharing, etc) connections to servers over IPv4.

It plays a part in the ability to connect to servers using \\server.corp.contoso.com or \\ipaddress.  Several Active Directory functions will not work when that service is disabled and you have Netbios off in your network.

If you have Netbios off in the network card settings, Netbios data will not be sent from a computer, so you don't need to worry about that service being started. 

See the thread here:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsserver2008r2networking/thread/aa0e9901-7479-45d8-8e09-0c8d0cedcf0a

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Sorry this didn't help.

I faced the same problem. Battled my way for about a month and finally found a solution that solved the iphlpsvcs.exe problem. 

1. Go to voidtools.com, download and install 'everything'. 

('Everything' is basically a search software for windows that allows to us to search for any file or folder on our hard drive irrespective of the location & whether it's hidden/shown)

2. Search of iphlpsvcs.exe. At the end of the list you will find the file. 'Cut' the file, go to desktop, create a new folder and paste the file there. The file will get pasted, but you will not be able to see the file. 

3. Delete the new folder

This solved the problem and my CPU consumption has drastically come down. 

Actual Title: iphlpsvcs.exe - IP Helper service eats up a **** lot of memory. I stopped the service still the exe is running. How do I stop

it completely? I found that iphlpsvcs.exe eats up a lot of CPU and memory. It starts from 112K and reached to a whopping maximum of 1.6 GB. This is a huge setback. Currently I use Resource monitor to suspend it as I restart my Windows 7. But I cannot do this all the time. I stopped the IP Helper service but this doesn't seem to help. 
I am using AVG IS 2012 and have reinstalled my Windows 7 very recently. What could be the problem with this?

13 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Perfectly solved the problem ...

Thank you.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

this does not SOLVE anything, you are just deleting a service. how is that solving anything- that is like burning down the house to kill a spider and call it a solution.

543 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

If the spider dies, it would be a solution, albeit not a very good one. The house would just be a casualty of war.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The spider might be part of the arachnid arm of ISIS.   Watch out of suicide spider bombers.

26 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.