I'm trying to repair the taskhost.exe file that couldn't be repaired in sfc. I've tried replacing with an older version with no success. How do I get a new copy of this file?

Running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit with intel processor.  New pc, lots of memory Have ran every anti virus, malware detection and removal tool I can find and None identify anything until I ran the sfc scan.  Last result is below:
0000030f [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction 
2013-01-14 13:21:21, Info                  CSI    00000310 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"taskhost.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-TaskHost, Version = 6.1.7601.18010, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be checked
2013-01-14 13:21:21, Info                  CSI    00000311 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"taskhost.exe" of Microsoft-Windows-TaskHost, Version = 6.1.7601.18010, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file cannot be checked
2013-01-14 13:21:21, Info                  CSI    00000312 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:154{77}]"Package_1_for_KB2786081~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.2786081-2_neutral_GDR"
2013-01-14 13:21:21, Info                  CSI    00000315 [SR] Could not reproject corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:24{12}]"taskhost.exe"; source file in store is also corrupted
2013-01-14 13:21:21, Info                  CSI    00000317 [SR] Repair complete
|

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

As per the description, you are unable to repair taskhost.exe.

In order to assist you better, I would need some information on the issue:

Did you face any issues with the computer?

Have you made any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

I would suggest you to follow the methods to fix the issue:

Method 1: To check for hard disk errors and replace the missing files

Check a drive for errors

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors.

Important: Data available on bad sectors might be lost when chkdsk tries to repair your hard disc.

Method 2: Run an in place upgrade to repair your operating system

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Note: Before you perform an in-place upgrade, you should be prepared for a worst case scenario that results in your existing data on your computer being deleted. This data includes personal data, settings, hardware driver information, and software programs. If a worst case scenario occurs, you may have to reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data to disks or to other external storage devices before you perform an in-place upgrade.

Please perform these recommended steps and post back if you are still experiencing the issue.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't have any issues with the pc except I was certain it had been hacked, despite no software or malware could identify anything.  The hard drive is fine, its a new laptop.  The only thing I've been able to find wrong other than update issues is the corrupt taskhost.exe file.   .  Which not to surprisingly correlated with excess use an new group and client policy processes running and none found on any search on my pc.  The repairs I attempted resulted in updates issues.    I am currently considering upgrading to windows 8 operating system rather then reinstalling 7.    I'd found the link you provided and have been reading it and other information on it.  I will let you know if it resolves the issue.  Thank you for the warning on the loss of data.  I am concerned that keeping my settings would transfer to the new os system.   Is that true?  I will let you know if this worked, although I'm looking at all sorts of compatibility issues with the upgrade to deal with that hopefully will be easier to resolve then this.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for the reply.

Please refer the link about upgrading to Windows 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

Please post back with the result. If you have any issues with the Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I can't say that this is resolved.  Sure I no longer have the missing file, but my pc still isn't working right and now I have to deal with figuring out how to use windows 8.  It says it has word pad and sticky notes.  But I have to go through all sorts of pages and links to access word pad and have yet to find the sticky notes.  Whatever happened to the start menu with the list of ALL programs.  Clicking on that would start the program.  I've only managed to get to uninstall a program, but that won't allow me to open the program.  To make a document, I've had to find a current document, open it and the click new to access word pad.   Worse is its been 3 weeks since my original question.  No one ever answered it. They just followed my idea of re installing windows.  Trust me, I don't know what I'm doing and I don't ask Microsoft support questions to reinforce my stupidity.   I'm looking for solutions from an windows expert so I don't waste time.   So can anyone answer the original question?  Can I one missing system file be replaced?  I have more then one computer and REALLY can't say I want to stumble blinding around my pc looking for the basic programs I'm using. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for the reply.

Please refer to the articles to know about the new and improved features of Windows 8, how apps work? How to open word pad, sticky notes?:

You can open word pad by clicking Win key+r and type wordpad, sticky key through app.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/basics#1TC=t1
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/explore-windows-8.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/jj721676

Please post back with the result. If you have any issues with the Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you,   I appreciate your assistance.  Microsoft was on the pc with windows 8 last night repairing it.   These are new laptops and really shouldn't have so many issues.   I don't know who or why I have unknown users showing up on files but believe that is the root cause of the problems.    It is too bad one corrupt file couldn't be pulled of a restore disk to fix it.  All versions on the laptop were bad, but I have to assume the original factory disk had an uncorrupted file.  I've never been able to read the files on a system restore disk,  If I could  would have tried to locate, copy it and replace the corrupted one. Can that be done?  There must be individual files on the disks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for the reply.

I didn't understand  "unknown users showing up on files".  Where exactly do you see the unknown users?
How are you logging into Windows 8? Are you using a Microsoft account or a local account?

Microsoft does not recommend copying individual files, you may try a repair of the operating system using the installation medium. As the files and the registry entries related to the files might have become corrupt. A repair installation will just repair all the corrupt Windows files and will not affect the settings and personal files.

Please refer to the article:
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/create-user-account
http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-live/sign-in-what-is-microsoft-account

Please post back if you need further assistance with Windows.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 29, 2020 Views 2,350 Applies to: