I get a message "Windows could not find a backup for this computer" while trying to backup

Original title: Windows could not find a backup for this computer

i recently upgraded vista to windows 7 ultimate, to avoid having to re-install all my programs. however some programs didn't function properly, so i decided that i would backup my files do a clean install and then reload all my programs. well all my software progams loaded fine and are working, however when i try to restore my backup files by clicking on backup and restore it says "windows could not find a backup for this computer". i have the files backed up on my desktop and i have my computers (laptop & desktop) networked with an ethernet cable. now they backed up fine and i can see them but the computers cannot. so i click on the "select another backup to restore files from" and can browse the network and point directly to the backup files yet still get a message that windows could not find any backup sets. I also moved the entire backup set folder onto my laptop thinking maybe something was wrong with the network (even though i could browse right to the files) and my laptop still does not recognize them as backup files. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2020 Views 3,150 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
Hi,

Check for related logs in event viewer .

Step 1:

I'd suggest you follow these steps ans check if they help.
Check if Volume shadow copy services are running and set to automatic in Services Console.

a.     Click on Start, type Services in Start Search. When the Services page is open, scroll the page to find Volume Shadow Copy and Backup service.
b.     Right click on them and check if they are started.
c.     If the services are disabled, start the services and set it to Automatic and check if the issue gets resolved.

Step 2:

Disable all security software and check if the issue persists.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Disable-antivirus-software

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats.  In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Step 3:

I'd suggest you check your disk for any errors and recover them

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.