How to use Ready Boost, and what are the requirements for using portable hard drives and flash drives to use with Ready Boost?

I have Windows 7 64bit Ultimate Edition and am trying to get Ready Boost to work on my PC by using Portable hard drives or flash drives. I have 2 portable hard drives(iomega 120gig, Seagate 250gig) and a cruzer sandisk 8gig flash drive. All these divices when trying to use ready boost says that these disks are not compatible or not supported. So what do I need?
|
Answer
Answer
Not all drives will work with ReadyBoost. You'll find a few drives that actually will state they are ReadyBoost capable.

Per WikiPedia:
  • The device must have an access time of 1 ms or less.
  • The device must be capable of 2.5 MB/s read speeds for 4 KB random reads spread uniformly across the entire device, and 1.75 MB/s write speeds for 512 KB random writes spread uniformly across the device.
You must also dedicate the unit and leave it plugged in for ReadyBoost; so ReadyBoost is better suited for a small thumbdrive (up to 4 gig) than a larger thumbdrive or external HD that you'd likely be unplugging from time to time.

Open Window's Explorer, locate your Cruzer - Right Click on it and click on Properties. If there's a ReadyBoost tab, you can set it up - set it for Dedicate this device for ReadyBoost. It will set it up and write a file to the thumb drive. Click Apply and you're good to go.

ONE CAUTION which I can attest to first hand. Apparently when booting, Win 7 has trouble with a few thumbdrives - it will search the thumbdrive for the Operating System, stall the boot process and tell you: "Missing Operating System" --luckily the solution is very easy. Shut down the computer, pull out the thumb drive, restart the computer and it will boot as normal. I had that happen with an 8 gig Cruzer. This seems to be a random thing, as I had the Cruzer plugged and booted many times without encountering the Missing Operation System error message. No idea why or why it's sporatic. Currently, I'm using a 2 gig Kodak thumbdrive which seems to be working fine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 26, 2020 Views 1,970 Applies to: