How to turn a computer on after UPS shuts it down?

I have a desktop machine that is running as a file server of sorts for my office.  I have it configured to shut the computer down after the battery level reaches 20%.  My office has a fairly capable router that is designed to send WOL Magic Packets to this computer every 5 minutes to prevent it from ever being turned off if possible.

Here's the question:  If the computer shuts down due to the battery being below that level, and it receives a magic packet from the router, I would assume that it will turn back on, even though the battery is still discharged (because the UPS has not yet shut itself off, there is still some juice in it, just not enough to continue running the computer). Is there any way to make it so that the computer will not load the OS until it is plugged in again? I thought that laptops had something that stopped them from trying to boot when the computer was shut down due to low battery, but I'm not sure how to get the same functionality in this desktop form. 

I would greatly apprieciate any comments about this!

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2019 Views 2,329 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Thank you greatly for your help! Actually, while re-reading your first post something came to me: All I really need to do is have a keep-alive device of some sort... that will turn everything on when normal AC power is restored.  I did a little research, and found that DD-WRT (a internet router firmware) has a little feature that allows the device to send "Magic Packets" at specific intervals.

Anyways, I think the solution that I might try is just to purchase a little DD-WRT compatible router, and plug that router into the non-protected AC outlet. That way when the power goes out... the Magic Packets are not sent through the network anymore, thus allowing the computer to shut down "in peace". :) When the AC power is restored, that router will reboot, and start sending the packets again, thus turning the computer back on. It may be a little bit of a waste of a router, but maybe I will find some more uses for it in the future.  DD-WRT only wants 20 euros for their commercial software, so I think it should work out okay.

Thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.