How to stop RAID-1 mirror stop resync (after a reboot) ?

How do I stop the operating system from performing a RAID-1 Mirror resync on / after bootup.

Windows has the asinine thing of trying to resync mutiple volumes on the same physically disks and the whole resync process takes 5 times longer than it needs to with all that seeking going on.  So I want to break/remove/stop the resyncing on all but one volume at a time manually (as the O/S does not do this like so many other O/S so with their software RAID implementations).

However there is no "STOP" control in Control Panel -> Computer Manager -> Disk Manager.

The "Break Mirror Volume" is greyed out while a resync is going on.

The "Remove Mirror" function tries to work but then says the volume is being resynced (well why not ask me if I want to stop it and then remove mirror).

It would not be so bad if there was a 3 to 5 minutes delay between the time the machine boots and any automatic recovery / resync is made to allow the Administrator to login and perform actions.

So is there a cmdline command I can issue to control resync?

FYI This is the first time in the history of using Win7 desktop (some 2/3 years here) that I'd had an unexpected power failure of the workstation, previously one of the disk units had issued errors (on at least 2 occasions I recall) and the O/S took it offline.  This meant at reboot I needed to manually reactiviate the disk again (the last such incident was over 6 months ago).  So this is previously what gave me a chance to Remove/Break the Mirror on a volume by volume basis.  This is the first time the O/S is attempting automatic recovery of the system by syncing all 4 volumes of the 1.5Tb units at the same time.

|
Answer
Answer

Don't know why this silly system marks answers that are not really answers to the actualk question as answers.

Yes I knew TechNet existed before posing this question.

The answer is:  there isn't a way to stop the resyncing once it has started.

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 12, 2021 Views 13,627 Applies to: