How to resize a partition with the Windows 7 Home 64-bit Disk Management utility?

Tried to use the Disk Management utility., reading the list of previous AnwersMicrosoft threads i read from "How to geek" that someone quoted to a previous answer, i learned that the resizing of a partition is only possible with contiguous space.
Well, here is my problem: how do i create unallocated free space sontiguous to my OS partition when the sequence i now have is:

C drive -a 25GB partition NTFS- (which I had created just for the OS), 
then a 100MB 'Healthy'  (System, Active, Primary Partition),
then a 17GB 'Unallocated' space,
then D drive -a 102GB NTFS 'Healthy' (Priimary partition) and then ... ano
then 5GB of' 'Unallocated' Space

So if i do not have contiguous unallocated space to take from.to enlarge the OS partition in C drive (cause the 100Mb (reserved by the OS for itself is in between),. how do i solve this problem?

I did try using the Disk Management utility, followed the instructions.. shrunk the D partition and created the unallocated spaces, now they exist before and after the empty D drive, but the C partition which i want to enlarge is isolated and did not get the extra space (i wanted to make the partition 5 GB bigger  like in 30GB.

Windows took less than 19 GB, so i figured i would use D partition to store all the other Software Programs, but it seems that 'by default' they all land inside the partition with the OS. Is this something i could avoid, cause i have not uploaded most of my Software yet cause the OS partition is nrunning out of space cause of this last fact. Can i change that?  directing my downloads to the D partition drive?
Even if possible i would rather redirect the All other software to the D partition instead of making more room in the OS partition to accommodate the other Software.
It goes without saying that i am hoping that any possible solution would include the preservation of all existing software and data.

Hope this is clear enough to explain what is going on in here, wished I could have made it more summarized but I could not.

I will appreciate your contributions.

Thank you kindly.

Question Info

Last updated October 15, 2019 Views 9,855 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

You may try the steps provided and check:
a. Right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage", In the Computer Management then click "disk management". Disk Management shows the detail condition of all available partitions and disk drives. There is the C: and D: and free space on the Disk 0. look at this screen:
b. Right click on any partition that you wish to resize, and select either Extend (to enlarge the size) or Shrink (to reduce the size) according to your requirements.
Note: because there is an unallocated space near by the D: drive, so the "Extend Volume" option in the right-shortcut menu is available.
c. Select the "Shrink Volume" and will open the following windows, you can input the amount of space to shrink, remember that cannot exceed the size of available shrink space. (Attention: system partition just supports to shrink partition to one half at most.). Please click the "Shrink" button to execute the operation. Windows Vista will reduce the size of the partition online immediately.
d. Right-click the C: partition, in the shortcut menu the "Extend Volume" is grayed out as follow shown. The main reason is that there is no unallocated space next to the C: partition, so you have to use other software like Aomei Partition Assistant Pro Edition, the helpful Windows partition manager to change the location of unalloated space and extend the C: partition.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

You need around 100gb for the primary partition and this is why.

You need space for:

1. The OS
  2. Any programs you install as a matter of course
  3. A pagefile managed by Windows
  4. Anything you may install in the future
  5. Service packs, updates etc
  6. Twenty five percent of space that will never be used but will ensure that the drive performs as well as it will ever perform. Windows needs space to move..

The above will allow you to retain any and all of Windows 7 features which aid recovery in the event of a problem.

To sort it all out, use Easeus Partition Manager. It is free for home use and works very well..

http://www.partition-tool.com/

Windows 10 Pro - Start10 - part of a local network which is a '3rd party optimizer-free' zone..

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.