How to allocate RAM to various programs, in Windows 7 - ?

Where do I find out how much RAM is allocated to various programs - for example, Photoshop? Once there, willl it be obvious how I change allocation?

Question Info

Last updated May 27, 2020 Views 52,724 Applies to:
Hi margeryb,

You can see how much memory is being allocated by looking in the Windows Task Manager.

Unfortunately there is not a way to allocate a certain amount of system memory to a specific program, so the best option is usually to add more RAM to your computer.

How much RAM do you currently have? 

My general recommendation is to have double the minimum requirements, which would be 2GB of RAM. The more RAM you have, the better your computer will be able to perform, especially when using very powerful programs like Adobe Photoshop.

Hope this helps!

33 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

In addition to what Rob C. said, you can view memory usage in Task Manager by doing the following:

1. Open Task Manager.

2. In the Processes tab, click View then Select Columns.

3. Check off Memory - Working Set and click OK.

You should now see the maount of memory a program is using.

Rifdhan

If this post is helpful, please click 'helpful'!

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi margeryb,

You can see how much memory is being allocated by looking in the Windows Task Manager.

Unfortunately there is not a way to allocate a certain amount of system memory to a specific program, so the best option is usually to add more RAM to your computer.

How much RAM do you currently have? 

My general recommendation is to have double the minimum requirements, which would be 2GB of RAM. The more RAM you have, the better your computer will be able to perform, especially when using very powerful programs like Adobe Photoshop.

Hope this helps!
My problem is that I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM and 2GB of GDDR5 RAM, yet my computer refuses to allocate anything more than roughly 750MB. Whenever I try running a game that would require more than that, Windows will warn me that it's low on memory then terminate the program, despite the fact that I still have 65% of my RAM free. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Thirsk --

You're replying to a very old post.  In general, you should start your own question.

First, GDDR5 RAM is "graphics" RAM (that's the "G") which is, or should be, installed only on your video card and not on your motherboard.

Second, assuming that you have 8GB of DDR3 RAM installed on your motherboard, you will not be able to use it all unless you are using Windows 7 64-bit.  If you have the 32-bit version of Windows 7, you'll only be able to use about 3 to 3.5 GB.

Please do the following:
  • Type msinfo32 into the Search box and press Enter
  • Click in the System Information window and Edit > Select All (or press CTRL+A) and Edit > Copy (or press CTRL+C)
  • Then Paste (press CTRL+V) the data into your reply here

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Sorry this didn't help.

To be honest, I didn't notice that this had said WIndows 7 (When I searched for how to allocate more memory to a program, this was one of the top results, alongside one from the mid-90's.), so I really should have started my own question. I can do so, if you'd rather that happen. 
You're correct in that the GDDR5 RAM in on my video card. I wasn't even aware it was possible to mount it on your motherboard. I have Windows 8 .1 64-bit. 

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1
Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
System Model N56VJ
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU ASUS-NotebookSKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. N56VJ.203, 29/8/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale Japan
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.3.9600.16408"
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.89 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.56 GB
Total Virtual Memory 31.6 GB
Available Virtual Memory 28.5 GB
Page File Space 23.7 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Sorry this didn't help.

What matters as far as the availability of RAM is concerned is that you have a 64-bit version of Windows.

System Information correctly reports your 8 GB of physical RAM, of which 7.89 GB is "usable" and over 5.5 GB is available at the moment (not being used by whatever is running on your system at the moment).  Your pagefile looks OK as well.

Without the specific error messages you get while running the game, it's difficult to guess what might be going on -- or how you came to the conclusion that Windows is only allocating 750MB (to what?).

I suggest that you start your own question in the Windows 8.1 Forum --> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance?sort=lastreplydate&dir=desc&tab=Threads&status=&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=All&tm=1385257425439

Give it meaningful subject line, include the the System Information data you pasted here, identify the game that's giving you problems, and provide as much detail about the problem as you can, including the complete text of the error message, without paraphrasing.  My guess is that the game has some compatibility problem with Windows 8, but that's only a guess.

-----
LemP
Volunteer Moderator
MS MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) 2006-2009
Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC) 2011-2012

Sorry this didn't help.