how do you shut off standby memory in windows 7

Windows 7 will not use standby memory when it is needed so I would like to shut it off.

I have 8 GB Ram, I play a game like Age of Empires 2 (I have played others with nothing else installed)and it stutters because standby has all the Ram and won't release it, no other programs or apps installed. I turn the computer on and off intill standby has relesed the ram and the game plays fine. If standby memory says it has 900 MB Ram I can play any of my games(skyrim on ultra high) or apps, if standby says it has 6 to 7 GB Ram I try to unzip a 20 MB zip file and have to wait 15 to 20 min. I don't know what determines how much ram is in standby but i've played a game for 5 hours and when I was done standby had only 1 GB Ram and i've turn my computer on after a clean windows 7 install with nothing installed but windows and opened up resource manager and whached the numbers on standby memory go up like a rolling counter

I did change my page file from windows automatic setting of 12,0000 GB to custom setting of 3000 MB top amount, and it seemed to help slow standby from taking ram.

System is AMD duo core3.5 \ 8GB Ram \ ATI 500mb gpu \ windows7 all updates plus Microsoft security essentiels(norton did same thing)so its not antivirus and as I said I did a clean install with windows and trid alot of different programs installed by them selfs and all did the same. If Ram is in standby it is not usable

Can you please tell me how to shut it off 

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2019 Views 69,477 Applies to:
Answer
I am not sure if this software will help, but it has helped me understand windows and memory. It should also allow you to free up some memory. And it is free. RAMMap.

28 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
You have misunderstood standby memory... it is being used.  standby memory contains data and/or code that is cached but not currently in use.  Windows 7 manages this, and you can't turn it on or off...
You can probably affect how windows manages it by adjusting your page file, but reducing the size of the pagefile does not seem likely to reduce standby memory... it's likely to increase it, as there is less room to write this data to hard disk.

And, your pagefile was not 12,000 GBs!

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.