Hotfix KB982018 won't install on Win 7-64 bit

When I tried to install the KB982018 Hotfix on my Win 7 64 bit machine, I get back (with both 64 and 32 bit versions) "not applicable to this computer." 

According to Microsoft -- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-US;982018 - this Hotfix is supposed to fix the problem of Windows not being able to create a system image on a 3TB USB3 drive. 

The system image creation starts, but after a minute or two, I get this message:  "One of the backup files could not be created, (0x8078002A).  The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (0x8007045D)"  These messages are referred to in the article. 

Microsoft is well aware of this problem.  (The article says it has something to do with the larger drive using 4092 sectors.)

The WD 3TB USB3 is new; driver updates were installed.  That didn't help.  I can copy files to the drives.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's had the same experience with the Hotfix, and if you've found a way to get it installed, or to get Windows to create a system image onto a 3 TB drive.  Thanks.

Answer
Answer

Hi,  I believe the problem is with an advanced format drive - 3TB, which has the larger sectors, as I can put a system image on a 2TB drive.

Also, there's the issue of the MS "Hotfix" not recognizing my computer for an install.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 12, 2020 Views 19,953 Applies to: