I have been experiencing high CPU usage when browsing in both Google Chrome and Firefox. I first noticed it when I received two Norton performance alerts stating that “ Host Process for Windows Services” with the program path c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe was using 100% of at least one CPU. This occurred when I was browsing the Internet on Chrome. The Web page I was on should have not used too many resources, as it is something capable of running on my tablet. Then later on my computer completely froze while in Chrome. I had to shut it off manually. I checked Event Viewer in Save Mode, but there was nothing related in the log. I also downloaded Process Explorer. I noticed that when I opened and ran either browser that CPU usage bounced around 20%-60%. I also saw that one of the svchost.exe versions was using a lot of the CPU resources.
I have applied all recent necessary Windows updates. I have also checked for viruses and other malware with more than one program. CPU usage is usually less than 10% with just Process Explorer running, it's only a problem when browsing.
My computer specifications are:
Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1)
Processor: AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor (3.50 GHz)
Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
System type: 64-bit Operating System