High CPU Usage While Browsing

Hello,

I have been experiencing high CPU usage when browsing in both Google Chrome and Firefox. I first noticed it when I received two Norton performance alerts stating that “ Host Process for Windows Services” with the program path c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe was using 100% of at least one CPU. This occurred when I was browsing the Internet on Chrome. The Web page I was on should have not used too many resources, as it is something capable of running on my tablet. Then later on my computer completely froze while in Chrome. I had to shut it off manually. I checked Event Viewer in Save Mode, but there was nothing related in the log. I also downloaded Process Explorer. I noticed that when I opened and ran either browser that CPU usage bounced around 20%-60%. I also saw that one of the svchost.exe versions was using a lot of the CPU resources.

I have applied all recent necessary Windows updates. I have also checked for viruses and other malware with more than one program. CPU usage is usually less than 10% with just Process Explorer running, it's only a problem when browsing.

My computer specifications are:

Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1)

Processor: AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor (3.50 GHz)

Installed memory (RAM): 16.0 GB

System type: 64-bit Operating System 

Question Info

Last updated October 22, 2018 Views 3,779 Applies to:
Answer

Hi! ADeets Apologies

I'm stuck on this W7 wuausev high cpu. If I remember right W7 I used msconfig > startup. Disabled the google update client service. I think there was two in there. Restarted and the high cpu and memory usage was better. Then just went to google settings about and searched for updates.

Hi!
A Microsoft support engineer will be with you shortly. Stay online your next.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.