Help with Error: "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered."

Hello,

First off, my setup is a Dell XPS 7100, Windows 7 Home Prem. 64bit, Visiontek AMD Radeon HD 6850 Video Card w/ version 9.2.0.0 driver,

AMD Phenom II X6 cpu.

My problem is that when I try to play any game (more specifically: Minecraft, SimCity, World in Conflict, AOE3) on Windows, the screen will freeze for about 5 seconds then go black for 1 second then come back up with an error message saying:

Display driver stopped responding but has recovered

Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

This only started after I upgraded my video card from a AMD HD 5670 to a Visiontek AMD Radeon HD 6850, which at the same time I upgraded my power supply to a 500w unit like AMD recommends. After this occurred I updated all my drivers, deleted and reinstalled the video driver and that did not help. I then searched all the forums talking about this problem and found that it is more than likely a problem with Windows Power Management. So I followed the instructions from this site to change the registry data to help with this. This did not work, the same problem at the same times. I then contacted AMD Support and they pretty much told me it was either the power supply or windows power management that was causing the crash. 

I'm at a loss now, I'm not sure what to do. I haven't tried any third party programs to try and manage the power. But if anyone has used one that works or has any ideas for me to try please let me know.

Thank you very much!

Answer
Answer

I've found a fix that helps!

Please make a backup of the registry before doing any editing in it.

When editing the registry go to:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
  • then HARDWARE
  • then DEVICEMAP
  • then VIDEO
  • within the "VIDEO" file there is an entry with the title: MaxObjectNumber - REG_DWORD
  • this has a value at the end that looks like 0x00000006 (6) or 0x00000005 (5)
  • double click on MaxObjectNumber and an edit box comes up
  • put 0 into the Value Data and click OK.

This will disable Windows GPU Timeout Detection and Recovery. Which stopped it from crashing on me.  The only problem is that windows does not save this and it will reset after the next reboot so it must be changed everytime you start up the computer.

If anyone knows how to save the changes to the registry, I would be very thankful for your advice.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2019 Views 609 Applies to: