Extremely Slow Reading Directories & Files Using Windows Explorer With Windows 7 OS ~ Build 7100

I installed and have been using Windows 7 Build 7100 – 64-Bit, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz, and 4 GB of RAM for approximately two months.  The system started off lighting fast, but now when I open Windows Explorer it runs extremely slow, slowest I have ever seen.  There is a green line above that shows it’s reading the directory, but like I said it takes forever and if it is a directory with a lot of files and directories it could take minutes.  I had turned off the search features, but since then have turned them all back on, which helped very little, so it is still very slow and I don’t want to have to reinstall everything to just fix that one problem, but I almost feel that is where I am at.  I noticed one other person had this problem, but there were no threads with answers.

What can I do, does anyone know what this problem is and have other people experienced the same problem?

Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Answer
Answer

The problem is FIXED, here’s what happened.  I typically unload programs I am not using such as Tablet PC, Bluetooth, etc.  I also always turn off all searching programs and have never had a problem until now with Windows 7.  Specifically, I unloaded Windows Search and Indexing.  When trying to solve the problem I turned it back on and as soon as it booted back up it worked fine.

Of course it goes back to the user, regardless, thank you for your response to help.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 22, 2020 Views 39,924 Applies to: