Question

Q: Extremely Slow CD/DVD/HD Read/Write/Copy Performance Using Windows 7 Ultimate

The PC's basic HW/SW profile is as follows: It was recently custom built using an Intel Extreme DP55KG motherboard and a Core i5 CPU. It has 4 GBs of DDR3 memory, a 500-GB HD by WD and a 16x DVD drive by HP. Both drives are in the SATA format. The OS used is the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Essentially, a 64-bit PC running a 64-bit OS.

Given all the excitement surrounding the migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 and especially going from the 32-bit operating system and the CPU to the 64-bit versions, I find the read, write and copying speeds of Windows 7 quite disappointing. In short, I have found the data transfer rates, regardless of the medium used, to be lousy. I hope, after this post, someone can point me in the right direction so I might find out why my new 64-bit Windows 7 PC is many times slower than my older 32-bit Windows XP PC.

To test the new PC's performance, I copied a 2-GB simple data file stored on the older PC's HD, consisting almost exclusively of OrCad data files, to a DVD, first. Then, transferring the physical DVD to the new PC's DVD drive and using the copy command on the Windows 7 PC, I copied the DVD content,  pasting it to My Documents folder in the new PC. This simple copying from a SATA DVD drive to a SATA HD on the new PC seemed to take forever, never finishing. Finally, I gave up, interrupting the copy process, after over two hours. In the mean time, monitoring the copying speed of only 250KB/s and considering that making the DVD on the old Windows XP PC had taken only a few minutes, I wondered what might be wrong with the new PC, suspecting the new HP DVD drive might be the culprit.

Before spending any undue time on the HP drive, I tried a USB backup drive containing the same OrCad file, coping it to the new PC's SATA HD--with the USB device attached directly and via an extesion cable to the PC--to become even more disappointed at a copying speed of no more than 1.3 MB/s.

Still, wanting to make sure the HP drive was functioning properly and was not the cause of any issues, I used its own Nero software included by HP, to burn the same OrCad file to a DVD diskette. Surprisingly, the drive performed flawlessly, writing the 2-GB file to the DVD in less than four minutes at a nominal speed of 22,160 KB/s; 22.1 MB/s.

Now, with the DVD made on the same Windows 7 PC, I again used the copy command and pasted its 2-GB content to the PC's SATA hard drive. This time around, somehow, the copying process went through, crawling all the way for over 28 minutes. Initially, the copying speed was 4 MB/s--but only for a second or two--and progressively dropping to 300KB/s and then, near the end of the process, slowly increasing to reach 1.6 MB/s before the copying was finished!

Obviously, something is seriously wrong with the Windows 7 copy/paste feature and it is clearly demonstrated by the fact that it simply should take a lot less time to copy a file to any hard drive--whether the file is stored on a DVD or a USB drive--than writing it to a DVD, something the copy feature cannot simply do. In fact, I have also tried to copy the same file to/from another identical WD SATA hard drive attached to one more SATA port on the motherboard acting as a back up drive, getting the same strange behavior.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

1. Which DVD’s are you using for burning?
  2. Which burning software are you using to burn DVD’s?
  3. Did you check with all the USB ports?

I would suggest you to optimize windows for better performance and check if it helps, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

Also try performing clean boot and check if any third party services running in the back ground is causing the issue, here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You can also try running performance troubleshooter and check if it helps, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Performance-troubleshooter

Please respond and let us know the status of the issue.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Azam,

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I have been too busy and not yet able to implement your suggestions and still have to wait before doing so, hopefully over the coming weekend. But I will surely contact you again as soon as I get the opportunity, informing you of any results. However, for now, I can answer  your itemized inquiries.

1) The DVD used is the Maxell, DVD-R, 4.7 GB, 16x, 2-Hrs, SP Mode.

2) The software is the Nero 9 Essentials.

But please note that I get very good results burning a DVD using the Nero software. It is only when I use the Windows 7 Ultimate copy/paste facilities to copy from a DVD, USB, or even from a file location on the PC hard drive, and paste to another location on the hard drive that I experience very slow pasting speed. For example, when burning a 2-GB file located on the hard drive to the DVD using the Nero software, the burn speed is over 22MB/s, which is excellent and taking less than 4 minutes. But doing the same thing using the Windows 7 Ultimate copy/paste options; to copy the same file and then paste to the DVD, it would virtually take forever, the process never ending! Even copying the file already burned to the DVD by the Nero software and pasting it to a location on the hard drive could take almost two hours or even longer. This simple copy/paste process is done at a crawling speed of about 300KB/s.

3) The answer was no before hearing from you. But after your posting, I tried the other USB ports and got much better results. In fact, on some of the ports, the copy/paste speed would go as high as 15 MB/s. Compared to what I had got earlier, that was almost ten times faster. I found this very surprising because the USB ports are rated to essentially provide the same performance according to Intel. I would investigate this issue further and let you know later.

Anyhow, from what I have experienced so far, I suspect Windows 7 Ultimate must be the main culprit in causing the copy/paste issues I have discussed with you. To verify the validity of my doubts, I used two separate computers, one built based on the Intel hardware and the other on the AMD's, both running Windows 7 Ultimate OS. The Intel based PC, is built using the Intel DP55KG motherboard, Core i5 CPU, 4GB of DDR3 memory, 500GB SATA Western Digital hard drive and a SATA HP DVD RW drive. The AMD based PC is built using an ASUS M4A785-M motherboard, an AMD Athlon-II CPU, 4GB of DDR2 memory, 500GB SATA Western Digital hard drive and a SATA LG DVD RW drive. Both DVD drives are x24 capable. Basically, the two PCs can be described as having been built based on the 64-bit hardware, running on the 64-bit operating system. Both PCs perform with the same extremely slow copy/paste speed.

If you work for Microsoft and it is possible for you, I would like to ask you to try to duplicate the same hardware/software environments I have described here, testing Windows 7 Ultimate copy/paste features to find out for yourself the copy/paste speeds. You will be surprised how slow they can be.

Thank you very much for your time. I will contact you later again, hopefully soon.

Reza

Sorry this didn't help.

Azam,

I did what you had suggested without getting any improvement from the Windows 7 simple copy/paste service. In fact, I burned a new 2.5-GB data file to a DVD using the Nero 9 DVD burning feature. It took Nero less than 4.5 minutes to burn the file to the DVD at 22,160 KB/s (22.1MB/s). An excellent performance. But when I copied from the same DVD and pasted to the hard drive, it took the Windows 7 copy/paste over 15 minutes to only paste about 60% of the file to the hard drive. And, unlike Nero which had burned (realistically pasted) the file at the fixed speed of 22 MB/s to the DVD, Windows 7 was shamefully inconsistent. The paste speed began at only 55 KB/s and gradually increase to 3.87 MB/s, over several minutes. Then the speed started to drop down over the following ten minutes or so, before I got tired and stopped the process. What seemed very unusual about the slowdown in the paste speed was the constant rate at which it occurred at almost exactly 2 KB/s! It seemed as though some evil gremlin was turning the invisible paste-speed volume deliberately and consistently down! On the other hand, since I know better, I must conclude--given the flawless performance by a third-party vendor, in this case Nero--to say shame on Microsoft for its newly minted flawed operating system and for laying one more egg on top of the Vista. Clearly, there is something terribly wrong with Windows 7 for being at least ten times slower pasting to the hard drive than someone else's software doing the same pasting to a DVD. Anyhow, I hope, given your position as a Microsoft Support person, you will take a personal interest in the issue I have reported and come up with a solution to this very annoying and also serious problem.

Thank you.

Reza

Sorry this didn't help.

Am I the only one who has run into this issue or none of you so called Microsoft Tech-Support geniuses are able to relate to it which is why you have all gone so mum? Or, are you afraid of something or someone coming after you for having dared to tackle a real issue? On the other hand, is it possible that Microsoft is back again to its old dirty tricks, sabotaging its own products on behalf/behest of others so its crooked executives can pocket a few more billion dollars each?

Let’s understand that, just as I have already explained in my previous postings, I built the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate based computer using brand new hardware made by Intel's latest 64-bit technology, purchasing everything from Tiger Direct--which is an authorized Microsoft vendor--including the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate OEM software DVD. Now that Microsoft has begun to drag its foot to provide technical support for an issue that is highly suspected to be the result of a bug or sabotage and you guys appearing to follow its lead, it is reasonable to suspect the EVEIL GREMLIN I had mentioned earlier might actually be Microsoft itself. Of course, given the company's past shady history, this might not be too farfetched. The question is why again? Is it possible that this despicable conduct might be resulting from Microsoft colluding with major PC manufacturers and sabotaging its own OEM releases of Windows 7 to force people who build their own computers such as me to buy a brand name computer instead, preventing us from saving a few bucks?

Including shipping, I paid over $200 for the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate software to Tiger Direct, which is a good chunk of cash. Today, a Microsoft representative on the phone was wailing that the retail version would cost over $300, which she was using as a justification to refuse tech-support for my issue. When I told her that Tiger Direct had directed me to contact Microsoft for support, she claimed I had been misled. For now, I still consider this an open issue that I am in the process of dealing with.

At the same time, I want everyone out there to know what might be actually going on. That, for all those people who have run into trouble with Windows 7 OEM installations, it would be wise for them to consider Microsoft's bag of dirty old tricks and not chasing their own tails. Regarding the problem I have run into, I want everyone to be assured that it is the result of Microsoft sabotage and nothing else because I know enough to have already figured that out. Which is also the reason behind my postings and to get other people’s attention to the possible reasons for the thousands of unanswered issues that I have seen posted concerning Windows 7, problems that should not be there to begin with!

With regard to the so called Microsoft Tech-Support personnel, I must tell them that it is understandable that they have to eat too, but please give us a break: Why don't you get a job with an honorable company instead of being stooges to a racket that is Microsoft? How many billions of dollars the racket has to be fined for crookedness and law breaking, before you people muster the decency in yourselves to stop being a part of its dirty bag of tricks. Shame on you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, I have the same problem on my computer: Asus P5P43TD Pro, Intel Core2 quad q9550, 4GB ram, 500 GB Seagate and Windows 7 64bit ultimate, installed by certified Microsoft people. All drivers up to date.

The copy process usually starts off at good speed but after just some second it drops, and keeps dropping. The behavior is consistent no matter how or what I copy, but the initial speed differs.

The worst case I noticed so far was copying a 10 MB file on same HD (C:). I gave up after 3 minutes. Estimated time left was 3 hours something. 
I have not bothered to dig deeper into this as I avoid using this machine (using XP machines instead). But I started to wonder if got problem to regain speed if anything affects the read/write process.

I am seriously considering to install any Linux distribution instead even though I payed a lot for the OS.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ben,

It is interesting to know that someone else has also noticed this very serious issue with the Flagship of the Microsoft OS (operating system) universe; the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate! What is troubling, given the thousands of postings for issues the operating system should not even exhibit to begin with, are countless number of computer users who have not even noticed the terrible flaw. It appears that most people have already fallen in love with the TV bimbo who has been faking a French accent hawking the OS and paid their hard-earned money for the junk of the operating system that is Windows 7, without even knowing they have been taken by the crooked giant that only has to resort to hype to make its billions and never caring about the quality or even workability of its products any longer.

Anyhow, the problem the two of us have posted about is caused by nothing less than a fundamental flaw in the operating system's code and is not something that can be fixed by tinkering with the Windows settings through the usual performance enhancing tricks! In other words, you would not be able to fix the issue by turning a running application off here and there, defragging the HD, etc. To fix the issue the shameless Microsoft needs to go back to the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate kernel, its code, and rewrite it before the brand new flagship OS can be as good, say, as Windows 98. I say this because I had already done everything possible to fix this issue before posting on the forum and before finally calling the Microsoft Tech-Support on the phone, asking for a solution and still getting no answer.

I called up the Microsoft Tech-Support phone number (1-800-642-7676) last week, directed to do so by Tiger Direct, an authorized Microsoft distributor where I have purchased my copy of the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, asking for assistance with the issue. All I can say about the devils there is that they were a bunch of crooks who danced around, refusing even to listen to the problem I was having, insisting that Microsoft would not provide tech-support for the OS because the copy I had purchased was the OEM version but only for the retail version. When I told them that Tiger Direct insisted that the OEM version was the same as the retail one except for its plain packaging and that Microsoft was obligated to provide the same support for it, the devils at Microsoft told me that Tiger direct had misled me. The crooks also offered me to return the OS for a refund if I wanted to but they would not support it!

When I called the next day to find out what to heck was going on with the return process, I was given a different phone number (1-800-936-5700) to call for tech-support. The person I spoke with at the new number, told me essentially the same thing--that Microsoft would not provide tech-support for the OEM version of the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate unless I paid him $59.00! Since returning the OS would simply be out-of-the-question for me, realistically, I said fine, giving him my credit card information to get a solution for the damned problem. Wishful thinking of course. After agreeing to pay, the person put me on the phone with a Microsoft Windows Technical Support individual, presumably one of the company engineers. He was on the phone with me late into the evening for almost 2.5 hours, trying everything he possibly could and getting absolutely nowhere or making any difference in fixing the issue, or even being able to say what was causing it. Near the end of the two hours, after I reminded him that it was getting too late for me, suggesting he contact me after finding a solution first, he admitted to have dealt with issue for the first time and had to refer it to his higher ups for their research to find out what was causing it. He himself and others that he consulted with that night, while on the phone with me, had no clue!

So, stay tuned for the next episode. When and if the Microsoft geniuses come up with a solution for their own failure--for which they have demanded payment from a paying customer to hopefully overcome at his expense--I will let you know. Then, the rest of the hapless would hopefully benefit too. For now, I am including a partial copy of the Microsoft e-mail I got after its failed attempt to fix the issue a couple of days ago, to give a better picture of what is really going on. For privacy purposes, I have deleted some of the personal references made in the e-mail.

"Hi Reza,

This is ... with Microsoft Windows Technical Support...

I am following up regarding your Windows service request...  Here is an outline of the steps that we agreed upon during our call:

Problem Description:
- Copying and pasting takes a very long time.

Troubleshooting Performed:
- We tried it in safe mode.

- We tried disabling 3rd party sevrices and startup items
- We tried deleting temp files.

Action Plan:
- Please wait for the call back from our research team.

One of our Support Professionals will attempt to reach you at the preferred callback time that we’ve agreed upon.  We have recorded your availability as... 

Available Days...
Preferred Times...
Time Zone...

My goal is to ensure that your experience with Microsoft Windows Technical Support leaves you pleased with our products and services...

If you have any feedback regarding Microsoft support, we would be glad to hear from you.  If you would feel more comfortable speaking with someone else regarding my service, ..., my manager, would be very happy to hear your comments and suggestions.  You may reach my manager by sending an email to ...

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Technical Support.

Sincerely,
"

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been doing an extensive search on this same issue with no possible resolutions found to date. Currently running Win 7 Pro 32 with the same issues on file transfer regardless of disk, usb, dvd, copy paste. The result is the same. Around 300kb or less. I have tried SEVERAL resolutions reported including updating bios and all drivers, etc. along with changing out hd cable, but no success. I love Win 7, but without a solid ability to transfer files it is useless and I'm seriously considering rolling back to XP.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi all,

I was finally contacted by a Microsoft Research Engineer--this is the title of his position according to what he told me after I inquired from him--late last night, more than twenty-four hours after our scheduled arrangement, regarding the issue. He was very forthcoming and open about the issue, admitting the problem to be an OS kernel/code issue and that it would be addressed by Microsoft as soon as his research team can come up with an operating system patch which would then be made available for installation, publically. He also acknowledged the seriousness of the problems associated with this issue. However, as he described it and because of the complexity of the issue and the solution involved, he was unable to give a timetable before the patch is made available. He said, it might take a week or two, or as long as a month before we hear of any solution.

Anyway, I guess, for now, we all have to wait and learn how to live with this extremely unusually, to say the least, annoying and unresolvable issue, until the arrival of the Microsoft patch. Yet, just as DustyBe has alluded to, I too will keep my XP dear and close, until such time. But, given the fact that planned-obsolescence is the not so distant future for the XP, and after spending a significant sum of money on HW/SW to upgrade to the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, I personally do not plan or recommend to anyone else to give up on Windows 7 altogether. Let us face it that we can no longer refuse to get along with any upgrades, PC or otherwise, and would be dragged to go along whether we like it or not. In the meantime, I recommend, for those us who need to transfer large sized files, we use a third-party application to get our copy/paste work done, without being slowed down by Windows 7. To transfer large files to a DVD, for example, I use my Nero 9 DVD/CD burning software, which does the job at about 22.1 MB/s, which is a highly desirable speed. For the USB to HD, HD to HD and for cross-network transfers, there are also third-party applications that can be obtained from various manufacturers and used for the work, at least temporarily and until getting the patch.

So, again, until the next episode airs, good luck computing to all.

Reza

Sorry this didn't help.

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Hi again,

According to the Microsoft Techsupport engineers/technicians--who have been contacting me by phone and via the e-mail regularly since I contacted the company regarding the issue, including a gentleman who called up tonight a few minutes ago--the company R&D team is hard at work to find a resolution for the issue, but as of yet none has been forthcoming.

Unfortunately, apart from getting remote access to my computer to examine the issue directly or uploading software to the computer to gather information to gain better understanding of the problem, no one at Microsoft seems to be able to tell me exactly what the R&D team might have discovered so far. For now, I have been repeatedly told that Microsoft takes the issue seriously, keeping it open and wanting to find a resolution to fix it. We should all hope so.

Reza

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been experiencing the same thing on a Windows 7 HP m9550f desktop computer. Nothing I've tried has improved the transfer speed of the DVD to hard drive. I tried something different tonight and was surprised at the result. I logged in on my wife's account on same machine and tried to copy the same data from the same DVD that went extremely slow for me (well fast then slow to a crawl). It copied without slowing down starting out at about 3 MB/second ending up at almost 9 MB/second. No rhyme or reason why I get different results. Will continue to experiment and see what happens if I set up a new account and try to do the same transfer then repeat on my own account. I added a second DVD drive because I thought the problem was with the hardware, I still had slow data transfer on new drive. m9550f HP hardware (stock config except extra hdd and blu-ray drive) upgrade from Vista to Win 7 home premium version 8 gb ram dual core processors 1 TB 7200.11 sata hard drive x 2 TSST 653 DVD/CD recorder HP BD 2401 blu-ray DVD drive

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 30934 Last updated: December 10, 2017 Applies to: