Extremely Slow CD/DVD/HD Read/Write/Copy Performance Using Windows 7 Ultimate

The PC's basic HW/SW profile is as follows: It was recently custom built using an Intel Extreme DP55KG motherboard and a Core i5 CPU. It has 4 GBs of DDR3 memory, a 500-GB HD by WD and a 16x DVD drive by HP. Both drives are in the SATA format. The OS used is the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. Essentially, a 64-bit PC running a 64-bit OS.

Given all the excitement surrounding the migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 and especially going from the 32-bit operating system and the CPU to the 64-bit versions, I find the read, write and copying speeds of Windows 7 quite disappointing. In short, I have found the data transfer rates, regardless of the medium used, to be lousy. I hope, after this post, someone can point me in the right direction so I might find out why my new 64-bit Windows 7 PC is many times slower than my older 32-bit Windows XP PC.

To test the new PC's performance, I copied a 2-GB simple data file stored on the older PC's HD, consisting almost exclusively of OrCad data files, to a DVD, first. Then, transferring the physical DVD to the new PC's DVD drive and using the copy command on the Windows 7 PC, I copied the DVD content,  pasting it to My Documents folder in the new PC. This simple copying from a SATA DVD drive to a SATA HD on the new PC seemed to take forever, never finishing. Finally, I gave up, interrupting the copy process, after over two hours. In the mean time, monitoring the copying speed of only 250KB/s and considering that making the DVD on the old Windows XP PC had taken only a few minutes, I wondered what might be wrong with the new PC, suspecting the new HP DVD drive might be the culprit.

Before spending any undue time on the HP drive, I tried a USB backup drive containing the same OrCad file, coping it to the new PC's SATA HD--with the USB device attached directly and via an extesion cable to the PC--to become even more disappointed at a copying speed of no more than 1.3 MB/s.

Still, wanting to make sure the HP drive was functioning properly and was not the cause of any issues, I used its own Nero software included by HP, to burn the same OrCad file to a DVD diskette. Surprisingly, the drive performed flawlessly, writing the 2-GB file to the DVD in less than four minutes at a nominal speed of 22,160 KB/s; 22.1 MB/s.

Now, with the DVD made on the same Windows 7 PC, I again used the copy command and pasted its 2-GB content to the PC's SATA hard drive. This time around, somehow, the copying process went through, crawling all the way for over 28 minutes. Initially, the copying speed was 4 MB/s--but only for a second or two--and progressively dropping to 300KB/s and then, near the end of the process, slowly increasing to reach 1.6 MB/s before the copying was finished!

Obviously, something is seriously wrong with the Windows 7 copy/paste feature and it is clearly demonstrated by the fact that it simply should take a lot less time to copy a file to any hard drive--whether the file is stored on a DVD or a USB drive--than writing it to a DVD, something the copy feature cannot simply do. In fact, I have also tried to copy the same file to/from another identical WD SATA hard drive attached to one more SATA port on the motherboard acting as a back up drive, getting the same strange behavior.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Question Info

Last updated October 16, 2018 Views 34,417 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I've been experiencing the same thing on a Windows 7 HP m9550f desktop computer. Nothing I've tried has improved the transfer speed of the DVD to hard drive. I tried something different tonight and was surprised at the result. I logged in on my wife's account on same machine and tried to copy the same data from the same DVD that went extremely slow for me (well fast then slow to a crawl). It copied without slowing down starting out at about 3 MB/second ending up at almost 9 MB/second. No rhyme or reason why I get different results. Will continue to experiment and see what happens if I set up a new account and try to do the same transfer then repeat on my own account. I added a second DVD drive because I thought the problem was with the hardware, I still had slow data transfer on new drive. m9550f HP hardware (stock config except extra hdd and blu-ray drive) upgrade from Vista to Win 7 home premium version 8 gb ram dual core processors 1 TB 7200.11 sata hard drive x 2 TSST 653 DVD/CD recorder HP BD 2401 blu-ray DVD drive

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Reza,

I hope this helps you at this late date. but this tip really helped me with problems like yours:

Go into Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, find Windows Search, right click it, turn it off and disable it.

I did this, and was able to (at long last) access, copy, and install from my DVD/CDRom drive.

I don't know what, if anything, turning off Windows Search breaks, but I haven't noticed it.

Good luck

Edited to add:

Turning off Remote Differential Compression in Windows 7 64 allows me to copy files from the CD/DVD

player at speeds of 1.3 to 2.0 MB/s. A LOT better than what I had before. Copied these instructions from another site.

.To disable Remote Differential Compression,
1. Click Start – Control Panel – Programs – Turn Windows features on or off
2. Uncheck “Remote Differential Compression” and click OK.
3. Restart the computer and you should see an improved performance with copying files.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi - I have a similar display under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers

ATA Channel 0 [x] Enable DMA (checked)

ATA Channel 0 (no checkbox shown)

ATA Channel 1 [ ] Enable DMA (unchecked)

ATA Channel 1 (disabled)

Intel(r) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1E08

Intel(r) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1E08

I think this is what you've recommended, but i'm not sure of the mapping between what you're calling the 1st and 2nd DMA channels, and what showing as my ATA Channel 0 (1st and 2nd) and ATA Channel 1 (1st and 2nd).  Could you clarify?

thanks

Bob Lambert

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

1. Which DVD’s are you using for burning?
  2. Which burning software are you using to burn DVD’s?
  3. Did you check with all the USB ports?

I would suggest you to optimize windows for better performance and check if it helps, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Optimize-Windows-7-for-better-performance

Also try performing clean boot and check if any third party services running in the back ground is causing the issue, here is the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

You can also try running performance troubleshooter and check if it helps, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Performance-troubleshooter

Please respond and let us know the status of the issue.

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Unfortunately, since my first post in late April and starting this thread, I should let you know that I have simply given up on Microsoft to resolve this very serious issue with its flagship operating system, Windows 7. Worst of all, since hype seems to work in the world today better than all else, I have also come to accept that Microsoft has decided to substitute hype for engineering and refusing to address and resolve the issue, which is also a lot easier a way for it to make its now ill-gotten billions! I do not make this assertion lightly but do so because when a company uploads a virtually worthless blank DVD with what it calls Windows 7 that does not do the job and then making billions of dollars hawking the worthless and defective DVD through hype, the company is merely committing an act of theft.

Anyhow, I am sorry for my apparently cynical conclusion but it is the result of the snow job I was given by the Microsoft R&D team in India that kept calling me up late at night as though I was a long lost family member to say hello to myself and to my computer wanting to find out how we were doing without ever addressing the real issue except for admitting they were too stupid to understand why the Nero-9 DVD/CD burning application on my computer was copying a 2-GB file to a DVD in less than 3 minutes and at 22.1 MB/s, while the Windows 7's onboard DVD burning software would never finish the same task, taking hours and doing the work at about 200KB/s at best!

This is really unfortunate, but what we must all understand is that the slow copy/paste issue in Windows 7 IS NOT an issue with these two mundane features. The real issue, from what I have come to understand, seems to do with operating system's resource allocation shortcomings, which affects many other features of the OS as well. The examples even include the mouse, the Media Player, data transfer from one folder to another within the same hard drive and the USB ports. Anything that can put an extra burden on the operating system, requiring on-the-fly resources to be allocated to it can bring the OS to a virtual halt or slowing it to a crawl. This can be easily seen when first attempting to write/copy an especially large file, say a couple of giga-byte one, to a DVD using the onboard DVD burning software. Initially, the process starts fast before slowing to a crawl very quickly and never getting back up to speed again. If enough resources are freed by running the OS in Clean Boot, the OS would give a better performance which is not really a big deal at all because who wants to spend the huge sums needed to buy a late technology PC only to end up with a souped up Windows 98 computer? I am sure if I installed the Windows 98 Operating System on my new hardware, it would perform a lot better than Windows 7 does in the Clean Boot.

Finally, we seem to be on our own! We have already paid Microsoft for its faulty Windows 7 and also enriched hardware manufacturers for what they claim to be the latest compatible hardware for Windows 7. The combination of the hardware and software has cost us a fortune and far more in the time spent to make sense of it for us to only end up with a gadget that we hoped would be better than Windows XP which Microsoft recently pulled the plug on and arm twisting us into parting with our hard earned cash, merely pocketing billions of dollars for its multibillionaire execs to promise to donate 50% of their billions before they drop dead. Who really cares! Let the devils address the many issues that plague the damned operating system while they are still alive which is why we have given them our money in the first place.

For now, when I need to copy anything to a DVD, I use my Nero-9 DVD burning software. And, if I have to copy a large file on a DVD to the hard drive, something the Nero-9 cannot do, I do so during a dead time and letting Windows 7 do it at its own pace. In this case, if the stupid OS takes too long, going beyond the dead time I have allocated to it to do the job, I do not hesitate to give it a piece of my mind, although I know it is deaf in addition to being stupid.

Hopefully, everyone will find their own way around the many annoying issues plaguing Windows 7 and good luck.

Reza

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been doing an extensive search on this same issue with no possible resolutions found to date. Currently running Win 7 Pro 32 with the same issues on file transfer regardless of disk, usb, dvd, copy paste. The result is the same. Around 300kb or less. I have tried SEVERAL resolutions reported including updating bios and all drivers, etc. along with changing out hd cable, but no success. I love Win 7, but without a solid ability to transfer files it is useless and I'm seriously considering rolling back to XP.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Chitown Fats, disabling the Windows Search service helped a lot. 

I was trying to copy some old CDs, some of them damaged, and it was impossible to work with Search service indexing every single one.

Sorry this didn't help.

The worst thing is that it is still not resolved in Windows 10 (64bit). Copying a CD (~500Mb) to disk takes ~25 minutes...

Microsoft, you need to do something about this. I have tried several programs and also a number of DVD burners so it seems to be a general problem.

Sorry this didn't help.

Am I the only one who has run into this issue or none of you so called Microsoft Tech-Support geniuses are able to relate to it which is why you have all gone so mum? Or, are you afraid of something or someone coming after you for having dared to tackle a real issue? On the other hand, is it possible that Microsoft is back again to its old dirty tricks, sabotaging its own products on behalf/behest of others so its crooked executives can pocket a few more billion dollars each?

Let’s understand that, just as I have already explained in my previous postings, I built the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate based computer using brand new hardware made by Intel's latest 64-bit technology, purchasing everything from Tiger Direct--which is an authorized Microsoft vendor--including the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate OEM software DVD. Now that Microsoft has begun to drag its foot to provide technical support for an issue that is highly suspected to be the result of a bug or sabotage and you guys appearing to follow its lead, it is reasonable to suspect the EVEIL GREMLIN I had mentioned earlier might actually be Microsoft itself. Of course, given the company's past shady history, this might not be too farfetched. The question is why again? Is it possible that this despicable conduct might be resulting from Microsoft colluding with major PC manufacturers and sabotaging its own OEM releases of Windows 7 to force people who build their own computers such as me to buy a brand name computer instead, preventing us from saving a few bucks?

Including shipping, I paid over $200 for the 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate software to Tiger Direct, which is a good chunk of cash. Today, a Microsoft representative on the phone was wailing that the retail version would cost over $300, which she was using as a justification to refuse tech-support for my issue. When I told her that Tiger Direct had directed me to contact Microsoft for support, she claimed I had been misled. For now, I still consider this an open issue that I am in the process of dealing with.

At the same time, I want everyone out there to know what might be actually going on. That, for all those people who have run into trouble with Windows 7 OEM installations, it would be wise for them to consider Microsoft's bag of dirty old tricks and not chasing their own tails. Regarding the problem I have run into, I want everyone to be assured that it is the result of Microsoft sabotage and nothing else because I know enough to have already figured that out. Which is also the reason behind my postings and to get other people’s attention to the possible reasons for the thousands of unanswered issues that I have seen posted concerning Windows 7, problems that should not be there to begin with!

With regard to the so called Microsoft Tech-Support personnel, I must tell them that it is understandable that they have to eat too, but please give us a break: Why don't you get a job with an honorable company instead of being stooges to a racket that is Microsoft? How many billions of dollars the racket has to be fined for crookedness and law breaking, before you people muster the decency in yourselves to stop being a part of its dirty bag of tricks. Shame on you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Azam,

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, I have been too busy and not yet able to implement your suggestions and still have to wait before doing so, hopefully over the coming weekend. But I will surely contact you again as soon as I get the opportunity, informing you of any results. However, for now, I can answer  your itemized inquiries.

1) The DVD used is the Maxell, DVD-R, 4.7 GB, 16x, 2-Hrs, SP Mode.

2) The software is the Nero 9 Essentials.

But please note that I get very good results burning a DVD using the Nero software. It is only when I use the Windows 7 Ultimate copy/paste facilities to copy from a DVD, USB, or even from a file location on the PC hard drive, and paste to another location on the hard drive that I experience very slow pasting speed. For example, when burning a 2-GB file located on the hard drive to the DVD using the Nero software, the burn speed is over 22MB/s, which is excellent and taking less than 4 minutes. But doing the same thing using the Windows 7 Ultimate copy/paste options; to copy the same file and then paste to the DVD, it would virtually take forever, the process never ending! Even copying the file already burned to the DVD by the Nero software and pasting it to a location on the hard drive could take almost two hours or even longer. This simple copy/paste process is done at a crawling speed of about 300KB/s.

3) The answer was no before hearing from you. But after your posting, I tried the other USB ports and got much better results. In fact, on some of the ports, the copy/paste speed would go as high as 15 MB/s. Compared to what I had got earlier, that was almost ten times faster. I found this very surprising because the USB ports are rated to essentially provide the same performance according to Intel. I would investigate this issue further and let you know later.

Anyhow, from what I have experienced so far, I suspect Windows 7 Ultimate must be the main culprit in causing the copy/paste issues I have discussed with you. To verify the validity of my doubts, I used two separate computers, one built based on the Intel hardware and the other on the AMD's, both running Windows 7 Ultimate OS. The Intel based PC, is built using the Intel DP55KG motherboard, Core i5 CPU, 4GB of DDR3 memory, 500GB SATA Western Digital hard drive and a SATA HP DVD RW drive. The AMD based PC is built using an ASUS M4A785-M motherboard, an AMD Athlon-II CPU, 4GB of DDR2 memory, 500GB SATA Western Digital hard drive and a SATA LG DVD RW drive. Both DVD drives are x24 capable. Basically, the two PCs can be described as having been built based on the 64-bit hardware, running on the 64-bit operating system. Both PCs perform with the same extremely slow copy/paste speed.

If you work for Microsoft and it is possible for you, I would like to ask you to try to duplicate the same hardware/software environments I have described here, testing Windows 7 Ultimate copy/paste features to find out for yourself the copy/paste speeds. You will be surprised how slow they can be.

Thank you very much for your time. I will contact you later again, hopefully soon.

Reza

Sorry this didn't help.