Question

Q: Explorer.exe crashes every time I right-click on desktop

Hi,

Every time I right-click on the desktop, the context menu shows up then Explorer.exe crashes and restart, with the following error:

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
Application Timestamp: 4d672ee4
Fault Module Name: CryptoProvider.dll_unloaded
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 53026bf0
Exception Offset: 000007fefc117da8
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: b4ee
Additional Information 2: b4ee5de6a2322745523997a782b35692
Additional Information 3: 36dd
Additional Information 4: 36dd51a08259b53aaf305fa38ed8cac7

Note, when I right-click on a folder on the desktop, the error does not appear, only when I right-click on the desktop.

Tried so many solutions with no luck.

Thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for posting your question on Microsoft Community Forum.

I understand that explorer.exe is crashing while you do right click on the desktop.

I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could assist you further.

1. Do you remember making any recent software or hardware changes to your computer after which this issue has started to occur?

2. Have you installed any Security software to your computer?

3. Please provide us the event viewer log information. Check if there is any error?

Refer the link: What information appears in event logs? (Event Viewer)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-information-event-logs-event-viewer#1TC=windows-7

I would suggest you to try the following steps:

It’s the issue with (DLL) file corruption and to repair it we will follow the methods given below.

Method 1 Please read the notes given below the article link before trying the troubleshooting steps.

Error: Windows Explorer has stopped working

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2694911

For scan your PC for Virus or Malware infections

Note: Any data files that are infected may only be cleaned by deleting the file entirely, which means there is a potential for data loss.

For start your PC in a Clean Boot environment and troubleshoot the issue

Note: Please go through the section: ‘How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting’ of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

For Perform a System Restore

Note: When you use System Restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

For Perform an In-Place Upgrade

Note: Before you perform an in-place upgrade, you should be prepared for a worst case scenario that results in your existing data on your computer being deleted. This data includes personal data, settings, hardware driver information, and software programs. If a worst case scenario occurs, you may have to reinstall all programs. Make sure that you back up personal data to disks or to other external storage devices before you perform an in-place upgrade.

Also before performing a repair installation, please follow the following steps:

Step 1: Disconnect all external devices except mouse and keyboard.

Step 2: Backup all your data. Refer to the link below:

Back up your files

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-files#1TC=windows-7

Method 2 If the above step does not resolve the issue try to install update according to the system type and check for the issue again.

Windows Explorer may crash in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2515325

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help.

Thank you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a similar situation here on my dad's computer. (win7)

OK, actually i think it's Just the same -- 
Every time I right-click on the desktop, the context menu shows up then Explorer.exe crashes and restart, with the following error:

Fault Module Name: CryptoProvider.dll_unloaded

I haven't checked other logs very precisely, but the module CryptoProvider.dll , CryptoProvider.dll_unloaded  are the same.

then i solve this situation by ...

1. A workaround, fast, but not clean:

Some other articles saying that disable some problem modules by Shellexview can solve this sort of problem, so I ...

i.)  Disable the module CryptoProvider.dll by ShellExView. 

ii.) Restart explorer.exe (or just right click desktop and let it crash for once more)

iii.) Right click on Desktop works fine.

2. Clean solution : let Microsoft Safety Scanner scan. (slow . . .)

First when i fix this by the workaround, I started to feel suspicious about CryptoProvider.dll.
I found it resides in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA64\CryptoProvider.dll in my Dad's computer.
I found it described in http://www.herdprotect.com/cryptoprovider.dll-29607e89937c0ccfe22e5f79030b136fcb309401.aspx

There are at least 3 version of CryptoProvider.dll, all version 1.0.2.5, but the one's SHA-1 = 29607e89937c0ccfe22e5f79030b136fcb309401 is malware, which is just the same as it is here.

And in Microsoft's site:
Win32/Sathurbot
Symptoms:

The following could indicate that you have this threat on your PC:

• You have these files:

""><commonappdata>\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA64\CryptoProvider.dll

So it seemed that it has to be a malware infection.

Actually I checked another PC with also win7 installed, it has no RSA64 folder under  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\ .

It's kind of weird.
So i decide to let antivirus program to clean/kill/fix it for me.
But my Avira cannot do anything about it after scanned & scanned.

Then I tried it with Microsoft Safety Scanner

Eventually it worked!

And i found  CryptoProvider.dll not exist anymore, seems deleted by Microsoft Safety Scanner.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Views: 1,421 Last updated: March 14, 2018 Applies to: