Event ID: 7024 with error message: "The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error The data is invalid"

Original Title: Cannot Start Windows Firewall Service: Error Code 13

Hello.

So anyway, Action Center started randomly telling me that Windows Firewall is turned off. When I try to turn it on or restore to default settings, it tells me it is unable to do so.

I went to Services, and Windows Firewall is set to Automatic, but it is not started. I try to start it and it tells me it is unable to do that as well. The error code is 13.

I am an Administrator.

MalwareBytes did find and remove a virus with the name of "Disable.SecurityCenter" but after removing that I am still unable to start the Service.

Can anyone help with this problem?

Edit: The log ID is 7024 and the description is:

"The Windows Firewall service terminated with service-specific error The data is invalid..".

Question Info

Last updated January 16, 2020 Views 35,631 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello, Connor

You can try performing a System Restore to before the problem started. For instructions on how to do this see the following ink: System Restore: frequently asked questions

You may also try performing an SFC scan to check for (and repair) corrupted/altered system files. To do this, go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator. In the Command Prompt, type the following command and press enter: SFC /SCANNOW

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.