Error - The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect. (0x8007007B), when exiting system restore"

Original title: System Restore Problems

Hello, I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit in Classic mode.  My system specs are listed below my signature.

Before installing a program today I went to create a system restore point.  In System Properties > System Protection I see that in Protection Settings > Available Drives there are two instances of drive C: labeled like this:

HDD0(C:) (System) Protection On (selected)
 HDD0(C:) (Missing) Protection On

This is most likely due to having recently replaced my C: drive with a larger capacity drive using Restore from a System Image Backup.  The installation appeared to be successful.  (I'm using it now!)

Note: other drives in Protection Settings are showing Protection Off. 

When I clicked "Configure" in System Properties > System Protection I saw that in Restore Settings the radio button "Turn off active Protection" was selected.  I set the radio button to "Restore system settings and previous versions of files."  In Disk Space Usage the slider was set to 0.  I set it to 1% (857.54MB).

When I tried to exit the System Protection for HDD0 (C:) dialog box I got this error:

There was an unexpected error in the property page:
 The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.  (0x8007007B)
 Please close the property page and try again.

I deleted all restore points then created a new restore point.  Current Usage now shows 29.48MB.  I still get the error when I try to OK out of the dialog box.  When I click System Restore and start the Restore wizard I can see the restore point I just created.

Any help banishing the bogus Available Drive and error message will be appreciated greatly.

- Dave

ASUS P7P55 Deluxe
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
Corsair CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 (4 DIMM x 2GB)
ZOTAC ZT-98GES3M-FSL GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Drive0 (OS) OCZ SSD Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE90G 2.5" 90GB SATA II
Drive1 (Data) HITACHI UltraStar A7K2000 0F10452 2TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Drive2 (Apps, pagefile, misc.) OCZ SSD Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G 50GB
Drive3 (Web data, Pgm setup files) OCZ SSD Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTX50G 50GB

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2018 Views 40,125 Applies to:
Answer
Hi Hi DaveMcKeen,  

The error 0x8007007B occurs when the system is set to store restore points to a wrong path or location.

Set the proper restore point path in Windows 7.

To remove this error message, do the following workaround:

Step 1:

To set the proper restore point path in Windows 7, performing the following steps:

a. Click on Start.
   The Start Menu will appear.
b. Type sysdm.cpl in the search box and press <Enter>.
   The User Account Control window will prompt for permission to run the program.
c. Click Continue.
   The System Properties window appears.
d. Click the System Protection tab.
e. Under Automatic restore points, uncheck any invalid or duplicate location
f. Click to check the C: drive with the Windows Logo
g. Click on Apply and click Ok

Step 2:

Creating system restore point manually:

a. Open System by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.
b. In the left pane, click System Protection, if you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
c. Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.
d. In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

Refer:

Thanks and Regards:
I. Suuresh Kumar - Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

11 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.